I'm new to the Linux game sp please bear with me. I installed Red Hat 8 on my machine running XP pro on Microsoft Virtual PC. The install went pretty ok but I am having problems connecting to the internet. I configured my netwk card both manually and using DHCP but with no success. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Please paste the output of ifconfig so I can see the cirrent configuration for eth0

Example:

root@loaclhost# ifconfig eth0 > ~/ifconfig.txt

Then paste the contents of ifconfig.txt.

Thanks for replying,
I decided to update to update to RH9 and I havent yet configured the network settings, but if I am getting problems, I will post again.

NP :)

I'll be here if you have any more questions...

Please paste the output of ifconfig so I can see the cirrent configuration for eth0

Example:

root@loaclhost# ifconfig eth0 > ~/ifconfig.txt

Then paste the contents of ifconfig.txt.

This is the output of ifconfig

[root@localhost root]# ifconfig eth0

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:03:FF:6C:0F:A5

inet addr:192.168.0.188 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:709 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:422 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:100

RX bytes:109190 (106.6 Kb) TX bytes:53595 (52.3 Kb)

Interrupt:11 Base address:0xa000

Which NIC is installed under MS VirtualPC? Does it have access to the Internet? Is it a shared connection with your system's actual NIC?

The stdout from your ifconfig shows that packets are being sent AND received, with no errors, which makes me think it has to do with MS VirtualPC, rather than your Linux installation. Since I've never used MS VirtualPC, I have no idea how it works, and therefor can't answer your question with the given information. Is it possible to do another Linux install using VMWare on that same machine?

Thanks for replying TO. Well I configured the samba server and I can see the windows network from the Linux machine and vice versa, plus the internet connection works too. Now my only problem is that I am unable to see any folders on the machine that I am using as my router, from the Linux virtual machine. This machine is used to share the internet connection b/c I don't have a physical router. When I click on the machine name in the Samba server window an error comes up that says 'Nautilus cannot display "smb://d7hr**31(the name of my windows machine)/". However I see the other machine just fine, and all shared folders in it.

OK, do me a flavor and describe your setup to me. I'm old, ya know :)

Seriously, please describe your network setup. I understand you are running Linux in a virtual machine using MS VirtualPC, but what's the other system? Windows? Linux?

You can't see the system itself, or the shared directories (if any)? If that system is running Linux, do you have Samba installed and configured on that machine? If you're using Windows, do you have File & Print Sharing enabled (BAD!)?

Please give me some more information so I can better understand your problem.

Ok, Machine A connected to cable modem via usb port, and then connected to machine B via ethernet card, with a straight through cable, no router or switch. Machine A running XP home, machine B running XP Pro. Now machine B is running Virtual Machine software with Red Hat 9 as the guest system, also running 98SE as a guest system on machine B. Is it getting confusing yet...lol. Now I see both XP systems in Samba, but I can only see the shared folders in machine B, the host pc, when I click on machine A that's when I get the error message. I have File and print sharing enabled b/c that's the only way the machines see each other, yes I know this isn't wise but I enable it only when I am actually on the net. This is just an adhoc network for now, I will eventually get a physical router and set up a proper firewall.

Ahh, alrighty then :)

WindowsXP HOME has NO support for logging into a network, whereas WindowsXP Pro DOES. This is not to say that XP home can't get on the Internet or transfer files across the LAN, but some major things were left out of the Home version (as far as it's networking capabilities go.) I can't say for sure if this is what's causing the problem you're experiencing, but I'd be willing to bet that if you had XP Pro on Machine A, you wouldn't be receiving those errors.

I just thought of a long way around this that might work for you. I've never tested this specific solution, as I don't have any XP boxes (all mine are either FreeBSD or Linux, with one Win2k box for my games :)

OK, here goes:

On Machine A, share out a test directory.
On Machine B, map a drive to the test share on Machine A, then share that drive and see if you can see the contents from your Linux system. I have NO IDEA whether this will work or not, but it's worth a try...

Thanks again TO, I'll try that and let you know.

Well I do have shared folders in machine A that can be seen in machine B, but I think you're right about the whole XP Home XP Pro thing, I'll play around with it a lil more and see if I can get it to work, thanks again for all your help.

No problem. How'd you make out with it?

No problem. How'd you make out with it?

Thanks for keeping up with my progress TO. Well I have since installed VMWare and I am running Red Hat 9 as a guest OS. I am still trying to configure the network but I think I am making progress, I'll let you know.

commented: Nice screen name buddy: Slade :) +36

Kewl :) Although I don't know RedHat all that well, I'll do what I can if you have any problems...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.