I just tried arch linux and it is amazing! Very good package management and since its for advanced linux users there is no bloat!

i find it too gentoo-like

you do not have to compile programs. And the great thing is its i686 optimized so you get about the same performance as gentoo without compiling!

I am a victim of "once you APT you will never go back"

My first distro was ubuntu than debian. I have "apted" but I have abandoned debian for a distro more my taste. Actually I have "aptituded" btw, I have a question about debian: why do people apt-get something when aptitude is the far superior tool? I bet your debian system cannot boot up in 9 seconds!

my laptops debian sarge system (yes i know etch is out but this system just works and doesnt have a network card so its secure) runs a full tweaked out Gnome Desktop. This tweaked out system reports 47mb ram of its 128 used and boots up very quickly.

lol my system right now is using 1.8 gb...

Lol a clean vista install uses like 30

lol...This guy my dad knows said that with 1 gb of ram vista swaps even with no apps running!

yeah my dads new vista pc uss like 800mb RAM when IDLE.

well than again so does linux if you have the ram.

this is RAM actually being used im talking about , not ram cached

oh lol.

nice.

Actually I have "aptituded" btw, I have a question about debian: why do people apt-get something when aptitude is the far superior tool? I bet your debian system cannot boot up in 9 seconds!

Whether you use aptitue or apt-get, the programs are the same; boot time won't be affected. That said, isn't the difference basically a command-line vs. a GUI? (I've not used aptitude before...) Some people prefer a CLI application...

no I was talking about aptitudes dep-clean feature. With aptitude lets say I install kde and then I want to unistall it, aptitude will remove all dependecies of kde as well. This allows for a clean system. Aptitude can be used as a command line app. Just aptitude install <whatever> and aptitude remove whatever In fact aptitude is superior to apt-get in every single conceivable way.

you can do that on debian with apt-get autoremove

that wasn't in the man page!....Darn things....

for some reason that command only works on Ubuntu LTS?

so use aptitude instead!

no i refuse

any particular reason?

Ubuntu is based off Debian meaning it uses APT-GET as it's package manager for one thing.

Second, Debian is the #1 distro that is 100% NON-Coorerate... unlike RedHat, SuSE and others Debian is 100% created and maintained by the Open Source Community with 0 burdens of business/money to dilute it.

Ubuntu is going to be #1 because Debian is already #1 in terms of the open Source Community and now with Desktop GUI ( windows and mac themes ) is a POWERFUL combination.

For instance... want to install LAMP? ( Linux Apache MySQL PHP/PERL/Python )

apt-get install apache php mysql python perl

The above command will install and configure it for you.

Of source you will need to manaully configure the config files for what you want... but there are also GUI config tools that allow you to configure MySQL, Apache etc with a Windows / MAC type graphical interface.

I think APT-GET and .deb packages handle dependencies and overall works better than 'yum' 'up2date' or other package systems out there.

And Finally... Ubuntu is the only distro that I know of ( or care about at this point ) that offers a very distinctive DESKTOP and SERVER variation to choose.

In other words.. if you want to run Ubuntu without X Windows and all the GUI stuff... install Ubuntu SERVER edition.

If you want a DESKTOP like windows or mac.. install ubuntu DESKTOP.

Ubuntu also has the BEST user comminity support in the form of FORUMS,

All problems or questions I have ever had I could easily find from the ubuntu forums... in other words if you run into a problem chances are someone already has as well and has posted a very clear easy to follow solution.

In contrast all other Distros lack this amazing Forum support on a scale that is clear, easy, useable and bottom line give you your answer without having to read for hours on end reading peoples rambling post...

Go Ubuntu... it is the furture of the 'Linux Distro'.

actually you require more than that for it to work properley ;)

apt-get install apache2 php5 libapache2-mod-php5 mysql-server mysql-client php5-mysql phpmyadmin

Second, Debian is the #1 distro that is 100% NON-Coorerate... unlike RedHat, SuSE and others Debian is 100% created and maintained by the Open Source Community with 0 burdens of business/money to dilute it.

Debian, maybe, but Ubuntu definitely has a corporation funding it. not that there's anything wrong with that.

For instance... want to install LAMP? ( Linux Apache MySQL PHP/PERL/Python )

It's about the same on just about any distro...
<package manager name> <install flags> apache php mysql python perl

And Finally... Ubuntu is the only distro that I know of ( or care about at this point ) that offers a very distinctive DESKTOP and SERVER variation to choose.

Fedora/CentOS would be a desktop/server combo. Gentoo has different profiles depending on which you want.

Ubuntu also has the BEST user comminity support in the form of FORUMS,
In contrast all other Distros lack this amazing Forum support on a scale that is clear, easy, useable and bottom line give you your answer without having to read for hours on end reading peoples rambling post...

Good help is typically easy to find for most distros. Actually, I had a harder time getting solutions back when I was having problems with Ubuntu.

Go Ubuntu... it is the furture of the 'Linux Distro'.

God I hope not...

Ubuntu also has the BEST user community support in the form of FORUMS,

I have actually found the arch and gentoo community the nicest and most knowledgeable.

I have actually found the arch and gentoo community the nicest and most knowledgeable.

++ for Gentoo, haven't been to the arch forums

they are pretty much the same since the distros are alike. In fact, most arch users are dissidents from gentoo ;-)

Yeah, arch gets rave reviews on the Gentoo forums quite often. If I were to bother installing something again, it'd either be a test run of Fedora 7 or Arch.

fedora 7 is stupid. I need to use irqpoll or else my soundcard isnt detected but i cant type any boot options in as it doesnt detect my USB keyboard at boottime grrrr

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.