I posted the following to the "linux newbie" forum, but have received no response... Any takers?

<quote>I am encountering an issue configuring the YOU update tool in SuSE 8.2: When I attempt to run an update, I repeatedly receive the error:

"Can't get the patches from server. Please try to get the patches from another server".

I receive this error no matter which server I check. There is an entry at

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:YaST_Onl....inf_is_Missing)

which instructs (me) to mount the CD or DVD (no problem there), and copy /media/dvd/suse/setup/descr/info /temp

The problem is that the file (.../descr/info) does not exist on the installation DVD or on CD1.

As I REALLY do not want to run an unpatched OS, I'm looking for some instruction (assistance) in getting YaST / YOU to operate properly.

The installation is on a dual-boot WinXP SP2 / SuSE 8.2 Dell Latitude C810. The installation proceeded smoothly (once ACPI was disabled) using the defaults, except for the time zone setting and the default boot timeout (from 8 sec. to 15 sec.)

Any/all assistance will be appreciated; remember please that I am TOTALLY new to the linux community, but have many years Windows and Macintosh (mostly but not exclusively pre-OSX) experience, so while the basic concepts may be solid, their execution will require some assistance.....

<end quote>

PaulR.

Member Avatar for TKSS

If you patch SuSe 8.2 you'll really need to know what you're doing to get it up to par. The reason for this is it is not the most recent version of SuSe and you'll have to install updated kernels/software/patches etc. I don't even think SuSe 8.2 is compatible with SuSe 10 sources so that's out.

I recommend that you update to SuSe 10.0...since it is free, it's the right price right?

http://en.opensuse.org/Released_Version

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.