On May 23rd I predicted that Microsoft would start the Windows Vista Customer Preview Program (CPP) within a few weeks, and I have been proven right. Microsoft today announced public availability of Vista Beta 2, the same build (5384) as was made available to developers at WinHEC. If you don't mind waiting for the 3.5Gb 32-bit download (4.4Gb for the 64-bit version) you might even be able to have a play yourself. Of course, this depends on a number of factors; not least whether your computer is highly specified enough to run it, and the (non) availability of suitable drivers for lots of hardware. See my earlier blog posting with regard to the real minimum system specifications for a Vista Capable PC.

More problematical would appear to be the lack of bandwidth at the Microsoft end. The official download link has been mostly unavailable ever since it was first announced. This is to be expected, although not by Microsoft which seems to have been caught out by the sheer demand for the new OS Beta. But fear not, intrepid techies, if you really want to get your hands on Vista and really can't wait then you can either Go Google for a BitTorrent version (and there are plenty out there) or maybe just go and grab it from the top secret direct download link instead. Be warned, it took me more than 4 hours to download the 32-bit ISO over a fast DSL line, so don’t expect instant gratification here!

Indeed, gratification isn't guaranteed at all: this is still a Beta remember. Personally, I'd advise against anything but an install on a secondary partition. While you can install as an upgrade to XP, you can't uninstall. To get your old OS back you would have to do a clean XP installation.

UPDATE: 9th June, lunchtime

It looks like Microsoft has got wise to the bloggers hitting the direct link to the ISO download of Vista Beta 2, and pulled it. Try using the URL mentioned above and it now returns an 'Access denied' message pointing you at the the preview page instead.

Unfortunately, if you go to the official download link and try to get the OS using your own download manager, you get exactly the same message.

At least there's a different message if you try to grab it using the official Microsoft/Akamei download manager as recommended on that page:

Thank you for your interest in Windows Vista Beta 2.
We are currently experiencing a high level of demand and cannot process your request at this time.
Please check back later for availability.
We apologize for any inconvenience.

Nice to know that Microsoft is making it as easy as possible for you to preview the new OS. Go on, grab hold of a torrent: you know it makes sense...

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Don't kno if you'll see this Davey, but have ya been currently testing it? If so, whaddya think?

Yep, to both. I keep an eye here for comments and reply when I have something to say :)

I've been on the Vista Beta program for many months now, and like certain aspects of the thing: the native IPv6 stack appeals to the geek in me, and the Aero interface is neat. I don't care much waiting for WinFS and PowerShell, and I'm not fanatical about the way DRM has been integrated with the OS - especially the High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection what with the lack of HDCP enabled video cards and the way it degrades HD video without one.

Will I upgrade from XP to Vista? Yes, but not my entire business and certainly not yet. I'll be following my usual plan of waiting a year (at least) for SOS (Some Other Schmuck) to iron out the problems first.

Will I be advising my clients to upgrade? Not on your nelly, and not for more than a year I suspect (although there will always be exceptions where a pressing need is identified.) On the whole there's not really any great advantage, IMHO, for a business to move from XP. The case is stronger, however, if we are talking moving from a NT4/2000 environment of course.

Sorry if that was all somewhat surface skimming, a bit difficult to do the question justice by way of a comment :)

However, it does give me the opportunity to say that the UK is starting to catch up with wireless technology. I am posting this while on the train from London to Yorkshire, making use of the on-board WiMax Internet access. Totally free for 1st Class passengers (albeit a tad expensive in cattle class) and clever enough to ensure that there's always a connection even while travelling through the many long tunnels along the route.

I see (and agree).

It seems to appear that many of the changes that have occured apply more to the 'lay people' then anything else. And I guess this makes sense, especially since they are the buying power in the market :cheesy:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.