I have searched all around the web for .htaccess tutorials, and there are a lot of them but none seems to offer a solution to this particular problem: I have rented webhosting space and I am running two domains off of one account. The two sites are totally unrelated and I don't want to be able to access the files of one with the domain name of the other. Here's what I mean:

Assume I am running two sites, biology.com and physics.com (just an example), off of my account. The directory structure is like this:

index.php // this file takes all requests and sorts them out by domain name

/biology
/biology/biology-index.php
/biology/biology-page1.php
/biology/biology-page2.php

/physics
/physics/physics-index.php
/physics/physics-page1.php
/physics/physics-page2.php

So the two sites are separated, and when you type in biology.com you get redirected to biology.com/biology/biology-index.php, and when you type in physics.com, you get redirected to physics.com/physics/physics-index.php. That redirection is done with the index.php script and it works like a charm.

BUT, someone could type in biology.com/physics/ and get the physics-index.php page while having the biology.com showing in their browser address. And I have noticed that it doesn't just take someone typing it in like that for it to happen--it has happened as a result of search engine robots that mangle the address, etc.

So is there any way to set up a rewrite condition and rule to prevent any request with a host of biology.com from allowing access to the physics pages, and any request with a host of physics.com from allowing access to the biology pages?

To whomever can solve this, thank you so much, in advance!

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Can't you get the DNS to point to the subfolder/index as aposed to your web space root?

Can't you get the DNS to point to the subfolder/index as aposed to your web space root?

No, it doesn't look like i have access to that. I use p4host for my hosting, and the control panel i have access to is called "CPanel". It has a lot of tools, but nothing for fidgeting directly with DNS, so far as I can tell. i can try editing the parked domains entries, but i don't know if that'll do it.

you own the dns so you have to contact your DNS supplier

What are the document roots of the two domains?

Isn't biology.com maps to /biology and physics.com maps to /physics?
If that is the case, you would not be able to access biology.com/* using physics.com as both document roots are different ~

If you are saying they both map to the same directory (/) and under that directory (/), you have /biology and /physics. Then yes you can access files using both domains ~

I think you can use mod_rewrite to handle the root directories of the domains ~ :-|

What are the document roots of the two domains?

Isn't biology.com maps to /biology and physics.com maps to /physics?
If that is the case, you would not be able to access biology.com/* using physics.com as both document roots are different ~

If you are saying they both map to the same directory (/) and under that directory (/), you have /biology and /physics. Then yes you can access files using both domains ~

I think you can use mod_rewrite to handle the root directories of the domains ~ :-|

It's the latter case. The document roots of both of them are the same, (/). If I can use mod_rewrite to do it, that would be great. But that's what I would need help on. I don't know what those htacess entries would be.

If you are using cpanel, the easiest thing to do would be to setup an 'addon' domain, assuming they give you the right to do this, basically an addon domain will be a folder in the main domain that the secondary domain will point to.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.