I have an ereader and I'm trying to upload books to it. Therefore I use the app Calibre. But the "send to device" options all don't allow me to do so. Any users of this app here?

Thanks

I must add: The device is a Kobo Glo

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

I found no one and no document that says you can send to device. Here's some text from a seller of the Kobo on Amazon:

Kobo uses its own store, so it won't take amazon purchases. Furthermore, Kobo also uses a different propietary ebook format and DRM, different to the kindle propietary format. If you're using Kobo, you can either use Kobo's store ebooks, or ebooks purchased anywhere that is not kindle store (Kobo supports epub, the most widespread standard for ebooks besides kindle's closed format). see less
By Jon I. on August 19, 2016
Yes but it involves a few steps. I do this for my Kobo Aura H20 for Kindle books. First, install Calibre (https://calibre-ebook.com). Second, install the DeDRM plugin (https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/2012/09/10/calibre-plugins-the-simplest-option-for-removing-most-ebook-drm). Third, install the Kindle for PC ap… see more
By Rob Fargher on January 26, 2017
Not sure about the purchases. I use Calibre to manage my library, convert files up and down load to my current Kobo, it worked well with a Kindle too. As I said not sure about the purchases of kindle books.
By Nick on August 18, 2016

Be sure to follow the maker's documentation on how to install books to this one.

It seems there is no Linux version of the Desktop app. And Calibre should work, it did for me once. I'm just not sure how to make it able to upload files to the device.

And I seem to remember that the Kobo Desktop app is not so decent.

You mention Linux in a reply and not at the top. I must be reading the wrong web page on the Kobo. Is there a Linux app?

It seems not. But there is a Calibre for Linux.

That's because I'm the man of klunky stuff.

I'm running Windows 10 now. Kobo Desktop works in there. That doesn't mean I can upload the files now. But I'll find it all out by myself. FYI: I'm running Windows 10 in VirtualBox. Can't see the USB-ports. But I should be able to manage that.

That's it for now

I've been usiing calibre for years and have had no trouble using "send to device" with my Android phone.

Ahh, Virtual Box and getting at the USB ports can be annoying. At the moment I don't have that setup so I can't write anything about that area except it was a few trips to the settings for that VM.

Here's an understatement at that link:

If you’re a Linux user, then your VirtualBox USB support set-up will be a bit different.

After you install the extension pack, more (arcane?) commands follow.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.