Hello,

I currently have a RedHat Linux version 6.4 running on a physical server (HP). However, recently it has started to show a failing disk problem, with some failures at software level as well like the terminal not opening properly, and while waiting for a new replacement disk to be made available, I would like to be able to backup a whole image of the server, and eventually run it on VirtualBox or VMWare should the disk fail completely.

Any tool (free preferably) or manual steps which can be useful in my case?

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I'm going to upset someone here. After decades of such work, we backup the entire server when it is not "live." We can use any number of methods you find on the web to backup the entire server and have never had to look for software to do this for us as almost every Live Linux on USB, DVD can give us the "dd" command to clone the entire drive. I'm going to skip supplying google searches since you are running a RedHat from the year 2000 and by now you know how to do that work.

But when you ask about converting your physical RedHat 6.x to a virtual machine, RedHat gives GOLD in the instructions at
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/6/html/v2v_guide/chap-v2v_guide-p2v_migration_converting_physical_machines_to_virtual_machines

I have to ask why anyone would run a server without performing backups on a regular basis. I won't write badly about you but it's always interesting why folk do this.

Been a long time, but thanks for the heads-up. In fact the backup was done by the supplier of the server, and never shared them with IT team due to their contractual agreements. And this issue happened when the agreement had expired and no longer had the supplier to help..
Finally swapping the faulty disk with a new one solved the issue, as being in RAID 1, the rebuilding process was done.

commented: Thanks for the update. It does raise other questions about what is called the "Disaster Recovery Plan." +15

Thank you it is very useful

commented: Hey ? +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.