Hello,
I just got RH Fedora Linux to try it out. I am a windows user so I am still getting use to the differences of linux. One of the things I want to figure out is how to play an AVI on this os.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

You can play avis with programs such as mplayer. You're in Fedora, so odds are, you're using the rpm package management system. Type rpm -q mplayer to see if it's installed. If it is, type mplayer & to run it. If it's not, you will need to download it from one of the many RedHat / Fedora mirror sites.

A few other good programs are VLC (not to be confused with VNC) and xine.

i have fedora and i have tried to download mplayer but they do not have all the components or it is in a tar.bz file. is there anywhere that you can tell me that has the full rpm package

Dark_Omen aka (mikeandike22)

Helllo,

I've also had good luck with Aviplay, that's usually what I've always used. =P
It should be in your package, since it's RD.

G'luck
Alistair

to install programs in fedora use the yum function

open terminal
type su then your root password
type yum install (program)
mplayer is not a recognized program in GNOME so make sure the program you are wanting to use is in the right enviroment
i.e GNOME,KDE,etc

commented: thread from 2004! -4

This is from 2004!

just download vlc media player. It plays almost all kinds of file formats.

In Ubuntu I use Totem movie player that come by default. I just click a any .avi file and the OS search for the file libraries and just add to the player. I am sure it is similar to Fedora. Shouldn't be difficult.

I am sure it is similar to Fedora. Shouldn't be difficult.

trickier with fedora as redhat ( a us registered company) are paranoid about patent infringement so cripple its multimedia capabilities. Cant get codecs from the official repos.

trickier with fedora as redhat ( a us registered company) are paranoid about patent infringement so cripple its multimedia capabilities. Cant get codecs from the official repos.

Try several Distro and see which one work best for you and stick to that. Thats how I settled with Ubuntu and its work great on my 7 years old notebook. Take a look at this website http://ubuntuforums.org for more info.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.