Member Avatar for iamthwee

Right ok. I'm trying to install limewire on kbuntu (7.04) fiesty.

Using the following link.

http://torrentfreak.com/how-to-install-limewire-on-ubuntu-610-edgy-eft/

I've got the limewire program installed ok, but it is like complaining about the version of java I have. I can't seem to download java 1.5?

The problem is here:-

sudo apt-get install sun-java5-jre sun-java5-plugin

I type that in and get all the way to the end. Then I get stuck at the following message.

click_me

I keep pressing enter but the message won't go away. I then do a ctrl+alt+backspace to reload, thinking maybe that will work.

But after logging back in again and going to the console, I do a :-

java -version

But it still returns java version 1.4.2

And

thwee@ubuntu:~$ limewire
Starting LimeWire...
Java exec found in PATH. Verifying...
OOPS, you don't seem to have a valid JRE. LimeWire works best with Sun JRE available at http://www.java.com
OOPS, unable to locate java exec in  /usr/lib/  hierarchy
You need to upgrade to JRE 1.4.x or newer from http://www.java.com
ls: /usr/java/j*: No such file or directory
OOPS, unable to locate java exec in  /usr/java/  hierarchy
ls: /opt/j*: No such file or directory
OOPS, unable to locate java exec in  /opt/  hierarchy
thwee@ubuntu:~$

What am i doing wrong? :'(

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

you need suns version of java (ubuntu comes with the GNUs own one for licencing reasons)

Well the extension at the java site is .bin

How do I install them?

instructions are here: http://www.java.com/en/download/help/5000010500.xml

to install the .bin files:

To install the Linux (self-extracting) file

1. At the terminal: Type:
    su
  2. Enter the root password.
  3. Change to the directory in which you want to install. For example, to install the software in the /usr/java/ directory, Type:
    cd /usr/java/

Change the permission of the file you downloaded to be executable. Type:
    chmod a+x jre-1_5_0-linux-i586.bin

4. Start the installation process.Type:
    ./jre-1_5_0-linux-i586.bin

This displays a binary license agreement. Read through the agreement. Press the spacebar to display the next page. At the end, enter yes to proceed with the installation.

The JRE is installed into its own directory. In this example, it is installed in the /usr/java/jre1.5.0 directory. When the installation has completed, you will see the word Done.

to configure:

Mozilla 1.4 and later

1. Go to the plugins sub-directory under the Mozilla installation directory
    cd <Mozilla installation directory>/plugins
  2. In the current directory, create a symbolic link to the JRE ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so file Type:
    ln -s <JRE installation directory>/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    Example:
    • If Mozilla is installed in this directory:
      /usr/lib/mozilla-1.4/
    • and if the JRE is installed at this directory:
      /usr/java/jre1.5.0
    • Then type at the terminal to go to the browser plug-in directory:
      cd /usr/lib/mozilla-1.4/plugins
    • Enter the following command to create a symbolic link to the Java Plug-in for the Mozilla browser.
      ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0/plugin/i386/ns7
      /libjavaplugin_oji.so .
  3. Start Mozilla browser or restart it if it is already running. Note that if you have other Mozilla components (ie: Messenger, Composer, etc) running, you will need to restart them as well.
  4. Go to Edit > Preferences. Under Advanced category > Select Enable Java

Mozilla 1.2, Netscape 6 and later

1. Go to the plugins sub-directory under the Netscape directory
    cd <Mozilla1.2>/plugins
  2. Create a symbolic link to the ns7-gcc29/libjavaplugin_oji.so file:
    ln -s <JRE>/plugin/i386/ns7-gcc29/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    Example:
    • If Netscape is installed at this directory:
      /usr/lib/Mozilla1.2/
    • And if the JRE is installed at this directory:
      /usr/java/jre1.5.0
    • Then type at the terminal to go to the browser plug-in directory:
      cd /usr/lib/Mozilla1.2/plugins
    • Enter the following command to create a symbolic link to the Java Plug-in for the Mozilla browser.
      ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0/plugin/i386/ns7-gcc29
      /libjavaplugin_oji.so .
  3. Start Mozilla browser or restart it if it is already running. Note that if you have other Mozilla components (ie: Messenger, Composer, etc) running, you will need to restart them as well.
  4. Go to Edit > Preferences. Under Advanced category > Select Enable Java

Sweet I'll try this later n give you some rep if it works =)

i know that under ubuntu you can use (its either automatix or easyubuntu, i cant remember) to install the sun JRE and other stuff like dvd support and the wma codecs easialy but im not sure if these apps work with kubuntu

i know that under ubuntu you can use (its either automatix or easyubuntu, i cant remember) to install the sun JRE and other stuff like dvd support and the wma codecs easialy but im not sure if these apps work with kubuntu

Since the only difference between the two (AFAIK) is the desktop manager, there should be no difference.

Yeah that worked, I didn't need the configure part.

I also had to create the java folder in my usr directory because it wasn't there. (i.e. logon as root)

To run the thing I had to type:-

limewire Runlime

Okay. One more question.

Can I screw up my IPod nano trying to copy music to it from linux? And if I do am I under warranty?

I have another problem...

Everytime I try to use the installer it keeps saying something is using it? I've restarted my linux box numerous of times. How do I solve this? Is there like a kill option?

dunno about that problem but in relation to the ipod, yes you can screw it up (but risk is minimal if you follow the instructions properley) and no, it most likely wont be covered by warranty if you do screw it up.

Damn, is it worth the risk...

The other error msg is:-

Another process is using the packaging system database (probably some other Adept application or apt-get or aptitude). Please close the other application before using this one.

I can't install anything else and I have no idea to find out what is using the apt-get? What should I do :'( :'( :'(

close any synaptic windows you have open
close down the update notifier too

Sometimes it'll leave a .pid file or something similar around that it uses (I think) as part of its mechanism for enforcing transactional behavior. If you remove the file, it should clear things up. I forget the exact name of the file though, since I haven't used it in some months...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.