Please forgive me if this question has a ridiculously obvious answer, I am new to Linux and still have trouble trying to figure things out.

In case it's needed, I'm working with a copy of SuSE 9.3 OS.

Is it possible to send the output of a 'find / -name *** -print' statement to a file somewhere on the system? I'm seeking a specific bit of information, but I don't know the actual name(s) of the necessary file(s) and the onscreen output from a find with the first part of the name followed by a wildcard is long enough that by the time it's finished, about half the results are already beyond scroll range. If I could save my results to a file somewhere, that would at least give me a chance to look over all of them.

Is this possible? And if so, how should I go about doing it?

Thank you for your consideration,
EnderX

I think this is what you want (correct me if it isn't):

find / -name *** -print > ~/file.txt

Basically you use the redirect symbol '>' to send the output of a particular *nix command into a file. You can also append output to an already-existing file; just replace > with >>.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.