Member Avatar for iamthwee

Open SUSE 10.2. Don't ask why but I've formatted my machine and put this back.

This time I've got my nvidia graphics card to work.
http://www.suse.de/~sndirsch/nvidia-installer-HOWTO.html

But I still have issues with dvds and mpegs etc. How the hell do I install them. I know OpenSUSE 10.2 have made it hard to use. But is there an easy work around?

Please :'(

Recommended Answers

All 46 Replies

Found this guide on how to install libdvdcss on SuSE, as well as a number of other applications.
http://desktoplinux.com/articles/AT2703022234.html

As for media players, I'd again suggest going with VLC. It's a great player that supports many formats.

google for "hacking opensuse". Theres a great walkthrough.

>google for "hacking opensuse". Theres a great walkthrough.
I wouldn't have guessed.

commented: Me neither +9

And yes I installed my printer from that YaSt thingy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now how do I get g++ and gcc?

Oh hell these screen savers are so freaking sweet in open suse. I can't believe I didn't notice them before. Ha ha.

Now how do I get g++ and gcc?

You wouldn't guess it, but it's in official opensuse repository.

commented: Don't be smart. -2

ok just got a new sound card..

MODEL
Trust 5.1 SC-5200

I put it in the motherboard and restarted but I can't hear any sound when I put my cd inside.

What shall I do, the man said I can't return it? Help. :'( :'( :'( :'(

is that soundcard in opensuse HCL?

What's is HCL?

This is the only Trust driver I could find:
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Trust&card=Sound+Expert+Digital+Surround.&chip=&module=cmipci

If that doesn't work, I'd say you're pretty much outta luck. Next time try getting a Creative card, those tend to have far better Linux support.

Oh man this is not good. :'( :'( When I was handing over the cash I was half thinking, trust, wtf is trust will this work on linux? And I bet you if I install the damn thing in windows it will work like a charm.

If I install the same thing on kbuntu do ya reckon it will autodetect?

Although, browsing through the driver cd there were instructions for linux. I'll post them later and hopefully you can help a poor linux newbie. There is still hope!

JoeProgrammer, I went to YaSt and tried to install my sound card from there. There was an option for Trust, so I click yes and next but I get the following error msg.

click_me

:'(

Here is the file for linux setup on the driver's cd. I have no idea where to start.

Audio driver for CM8338/CM8738 chips by Chen-Li Tien

HARDWARE SUPPORTED
================================================================================
C-Media CMI8338
C-Media CMI8738
On-board C-Media chips

WHAT'S NEW
================================================================================

1. Support modem interface for 8738. (select in kernel configuration)
  2. Enable S/PDIF-in to S/PDIF-out (S/PDIF loop).
  3. Enable 4 channels analog duplicate mode on 3 jack or 4 jack
     configurateion.
  4. Enable joystick support. (joystick driver needed)

STEPS TO BUILD DRIVER

1. Backup the Config.in and Makefile in the sound driver directory
     (/usr/src/linux/driver/sound).
     The Configure.help provide help when you config driver in step
     4, please backup the original one (/usr/src/linux/Document) and
     copy this file.
     The cmpci is document for the driver in detail, please copy it
     to /usr/src/linux/Document/sound so you can refer it. Backup if
     there is already one.

2. Extract the tar file by 'tar xvzf cmpci-xx.tar.gz' in the above
     directory.

3. Change directory to /usr/src/linux

4. Config cm8338 driver by 'make menuconfig', 'make config' or
     'make xconfig' command.

5. Please select Sound Card (CONFIG_SOUND=m) support and CMPCI
     driver (CONFIG_SOUND_CMPCI=m) as modules. Resident mode not tested.
     For driver option, please refer 'DRIVER PARAMETER'

6. Compile the kernel if necessary.

7. Compile the modules by 'make modules'.

8. Install the modules by 'make modules_install'

INSTALL DRIVER

1. Before first time to run the driver, create module dependency by
     'depmod -a'

2. To install the driver manually, enter 'modprobe cmpci'.

3. Driver installation for various distributions:

a. Slackware 4.0
       Add the 'modprobe cmpci' command in your /etc/rc.d/rc.modules
       file.so you can start the driver automatically each time booting.

b. Caldera OpenLinux 2.2
       Use LISA to load the cmpci module.

c. RedHat 6.0 and S.u.S.E. 6.1
       Add following command in /etc/conf.modules:

alias sound cmpci

also visit http://www.cmedia.com.tw for installation instruction.

DRIVER PARAMETER

Some functions for the cm8738 can be configured in Kernel Configuration
  or modules parameters. Set these parameters to 1 to enable.

spdif_loop:   Enable S/PDIF loop, this route S/PDIF-in to S/PDIF-out
                directly.
  four_ch:      Enable 4 channels mode, rear-out or line-in will output
                the same as line-out.
  rear_out:     Enable this if you have independent rear-out jacket on
                your sound card, otherwise line-in will be used as
                rear-out.
  modem:	You will need to set this parameter if you want to use
		the HSP modem. You need install the pctel.o, the modem
		driver itself.
  joystich:	Enable joystick. You will need to install Linux joystick
		driver.

Help!

If that doesn't work, I'm gonna try a dual boot of windows and kbuntu. Configure the drivers for windows just to check it is a driver issue then see if kbuntu has any better luck detecting it.

If all that fails I guess I need to buy another sound card. I just feel ripped off. I'm so stupid.

You can use google, can't you?

commented: thats not a very helpful comment -2

If you would use linux as linux not as windows, you wouldn't waste a lot of time with stupid problems like this one .

commented: cut the lip you ain't impressing anyone. -2

If you would use linux as linux not as windows, you wouldn't waste a lot of time with stupid problems like this one .

i disagree with your comment

commented: Totally agree matey, we all gotta learn new things? Googling is little or no help. +9

First the good news: since the CD does indeed have a Linux driver, it will be possible for you to run this thing under Linux.

The bad news: it's gonna be a loooong haul, so bear with me.

Kernel source code

You're going to need the kernel's source code first. Check to see if it's already been installed on your system, it will usually be located in /usr/src inside a folder that has the kernel version that you're using.

Downloading a kernel

If it isn't there, you'll have to download the kernel source. An extra step, and more configuration necessary. Head to www.kernel.org and download the latest version (make sure you don't download the patch -- you need the full version, so click on the 'F' to download it).

You'll need to extract the tarball.

# cd /usr/src
# su
# tar xjf /home/iamthwee/linux-2.6...tar.bz2

Finally, you need to make a sym-link called "linux" (like a folder shortcut) that will point to the source code.

# ln -s linux-2.6... linux

Building the soundcard driver

Now you'll need to extract the soundcard tarball.

# cd /usr/src/linux/driver/sound
# tar xfz cmpci-xx.tar.gz

Next, configure the kernel.

# cd /usr/src/linux
# make menuconfig

If you manually installed the kernel like I showed above, it's going to be way harder than if your system came installed with the kernel. If you've manually installed it, you will need to follow these instructions (note: you don't actually need to compile it here, just follow the configuration guide):
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=7#doc_chap3

Last thing you need to do is make sure you enable support for this driver that you just worked so hard to get, so just do what it says here:

Please select Sound Card (CONFIG_SOUND=m) support and CMPCI
driver (CONFIG_SOUND_CMPCI=m) as modules. Resident mode not tested.
For driver option, please refer 'DRIVER PARAMETER'

Exit the menuconfig, making sure to save your changes. Now you can compile the modules (with root privalges) and install it.

# make modules_install

If you manually installed the kernel

Note that if you manually installed a new kernel, you'll have to do this instead:

# make && make modules_install
# cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-2.6...

And now you need to edit your bootloader configuration. Systems have the config file located in different spots, so if it's grub, look for grub.conf , and if it's lilo, lilo.conf . Changing the file is relatively simple. Look for vmlinuz, kernel, or anything with version numbers. Change this to the name of the kernel that you just copied (kernel-2.6...).

If your bootloader is lilo, you'll need to update it like so:

# lilo

If it's grub, you usually don't need to update it (depending on your partition steup).

Reboot the system to test out your new kernel.

Installing the driver

Create the module dependancy:

# depmod -a

Open up /etc/conf.modules , and add the following line:

alias sound cmpci

Reboot and enjoy. (I've probably missed something along the way, so let me know if something doesn't work.)

iamthweej: If there is a tux mark on that box try change it for another card (on openSuse HCL you can find card you want http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/Sound_Cards or http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/).

joeprogrammer: It would be extremely better to use kernel source from distribution, wouldn't it?
If that card has really chip supported by CMI8x38, it is suppoted in opensuse (at least if you manually load module and set volume up).

btw CMI8738 is first card on openSUSE HCL ;-)

@joeprogrammer, LOL that looks like pain.

But before I give it a go, do you think Kbuntu will have similar problems. If not I would much rather forget open suse and use kbuntu?

maybe. I know that suse couldnt find the sound on my dell but ubuntu (v7) could.

Yeah it can't hurt to give it a go. It just takes so long cos I wanna do a dual boot with windows to make doubly sure it is just a driver issue.

>It would be extremely better to use kernel source from distribution, wouldn't it?
Maybe. Maybe not. I've always used the vanilla kernel when installing a new one; it's not a huge deal.

>@joeprogrammer, LOL that looks like pain.
Well, that procedure is fairly standard for drivers that are distributed in source code format. They have to be compiled with the kernel source code to generate loadable modules, so getting the distro's source code is kinda mandatory.

>But before I give it a go, do you think Kbuntu will have similar problems.
It's kinda iffy on that one. Ubuntu has a pretty good driver base that it installs with, however as I experienced on my MacBook, is not nearly enough.

What I'd recommend is installing the soundcard, and then booting Kubuntu/Ubuntu from a LiveCD. Test it to see if it works. If the thing is unable to detect the soundcard on the LiveCD, it's highly unlikely that you'll have better luck after installation.

Post here output of 'lspci -nn|grep -i audio'. I'm on doubt your card is based on 8738 chip.
and imho that card doesn't support linux.
You did mistake with choosing that card (if you run non-mainstream system you have to check hardware compatibility list before buying hardware). But post here output of that command and we can look if that card supports linux.

i tried the ubuntu live cd and again nothing from the speakers. This sux.

>that card doesn't support linux.
I'm pretty sure it does, after all, coming with Linux drivers on a CD is a clue, isn't it?

No, Linux support means support in vanilla kernel or at least works out-of-the-box in all mainstream distros. Drivers on CD is (almost) unusable in linux world, becuase of current style of software distribution, don't you think?
I can't imagine how to manage system where i have to care about recompiling and reinstaling drivers from various CDs after every kernel update. What is absolutely transparent proccess user don't have to care about if hardware is native supported by distribution.

PS: sorry for my english :-(

Ok I put back in my soundblaster card. And wiped the os and put winxp on. And it worked fine. It played the sound. So that can only mean it's a freakin driver issue. Pfft.

So how do I get the soundblaster to work with kbuntu?

is it an new one like an audigy or is it simply a soundblaster16?

It's the old one i had before

sound card:
soundblaster live 5.1 model number: SB0100

it should work without problem, i have same card

$ lspci -nn|grep -i audio
02:0d.0 Multimedia audio controller [0401]: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 [1102:0002] (rev 0a)

If you run something like Linux From Scratch, check if module snd_emu10k1 is loaded (lsmod) and if volume is set for PCM and Master (alsamixer/aumix/kmix). If you use user-friendly distribution it should work out-of-the-box (just start amarok/rhytmnbox/whatever and play something).
Isn't it audio codec issue?
Could you post here exact message what says you sound isn't working?

For testing you can run command like

$ aplay /dev/urandom

And if you will hear something wierd, sound support is on.

But as I said it's suppoused to run right after installation.

commented: WWWWWWWWWWWWWooooot, yes you rock!!!!!!!!!!!! +9
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.