i am using ubuntu OS, i just recently installed it. i would like to connect to the net using my internal modem (PCtel HSP modem) but it does not work i cannot hear it dial and connect. i know that there are some hardware not supported by linux is my modem one of them? please help me coz when i want to surf i always revert to windows instead using my ubuntu. any kind of advice will be helpful.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

It's probably a WinModem. That's a little different to configure under Linux. Check out this website, see if it helps any:

http://www.linmodems.org/

Someone might already have set up your modem, and there could be some help here.

It's actually pretty tricky to get a Winmodem to work under linux. I have an Agere modem (Toshiba Software Modem), and I still didn't get it to work (mainly because I did not have a chance). I wish you luck in getting your's to work. linmodems is a good place to start as alc6379 suggested.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.