Is there any interest in the FreeBSD/Gentoo project ?
Gentoo was always my distro of choice, and I later found OpenBSD. Now
I've found found this combo that's great (I'll go with FreeBSD instead of OpenBSD) if I can just get an install going.
'Just "testing the waters"............

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

I don't think its on many people's radar.

I know about it, but I get by fine with Gentoo (which I'm using less and less), so I never tried it out. Good luck though ;)

freebsd is very popular as a server distro. not my choice for a desktop though

Hello everyone! Just joined the forum. I am currently looking at PCBSD, which is supposed to be a desktop version of the server program. It is supposed to be easier to navigate your computer and easier to load than than other versions. I will let you know if I can ever get the computer I want to put it on going. A friend gave it to me. Said he went to put a different OS on it and it won't work anymore. It appears to be in a boot up loop with setup not complete. I have tried another HD and it does the same. It appears the BIOS is messed up. I have tried finding something on the BIOS, but have nothing that looks like it would work. That is why I joined this forum, to see if I can find some help. Off to check another thread.

Doesn't pcBSD cost money? Like netBSd and openBSD.

openBSD is free

ok, nevermind then. for some reason i thought it cost money.

Doesn't pcBSD cost money? Like netBSd and openBSD.

Um, all of those are free.

openBSD is perhaps the most "free" of all the *nixes.

>Um, all of those are free.

Nobody asked you.

Sturm, how is openBSD the most free?

>Sturm, how is openBSD the most free?

No binary blobs.

>Nobody asked you.
I'm sorry, but this is a public forum. You can't ask a question publicly and then pick and choose who's going to answer it.

>Nobody asked you.
I'm sorry, but this is a public forum. You can't ask a question publicly and then pick and choose who's going to answer it.

IMO no need to be sorry, Joe. the guy is outright rude.

>IMO no need to be sorry, Joe. the guy is outright rude.

What do you know?

What do you know?

only what I see. if you have a private problem - take it to the private messages.

>IMO no need to be sorry, Joe. the guy is outright rude.

What do you know?

It doesn't take a genius...

Anyway, OpenBSD and FreeBSD are both free, OpenBSD unfortunately lacks some of the 'features' that I like with FreeBSD, and doesn't have the same ports tree :x

openbsd is built with an emphasis on security
i like it for my mail server

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.