Member Avatar for W1ND0W5

Your typical Mac will start with something called Open Firmware, which loads the OS and things like that. Now, it is basically like a DOS shell: it can be used to type commands and boot into various OSes and run recovery programs. Now, this shell is accessible by any end-user who owns a Mac by pressing Command-Option-O-F when the Apple logo appears. You will see some text, and you will be dropped into a DOS-like shell. Here is a short list of commands you may use:
mac-boot -> boots into OS X
dev -> configures devices
ls -> Lists hardware configuration
dir -> does exactly as it does in DOS, lists files in a specified directory
devalias -> shows you the different aliases and what they're for
load -> loads a kernel into RAM
boot -> boots a loaded kernel
printenv -> shows the environment variables
setenv -> allows you to make and change system variables, namely Open Firmware ones
shut-down -> shuts down your Mac
reboot -> reboots your Mac into OS X, although you could sue mac-boot for that!
Thanks for reading this thread and if you know any more commands post them below please! :)
NOTE! I would not really recommend *messing* with Open Firmware as it can be very dangerous.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

DOS is not a shell. DOS is an OS. Shells are CLIs (command line interpreters) to parse code in unix. Please, if you wish to talk about other OSs, leave the others behind. The logic of DOS and the Logic of Unix are completely different.

I said it was a DOS-like shell, not a DOS shell. Trust me, I have developed a bit too much on DOS.

I don't want to put words into your mouth, but: "Now, it is basically like a DOS shell". Your words, not mine.

The unix shell that your system comes up with is a bash shell and all unix commands can be executed from the prompt. You can even switch to any unix shell.

Fine. Editing the post.

Fine. Editing the post.

Or not, as it seems. Stupid edit limit. Double-posting annoying? Sorry.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.