dancks 4 Light Poster

It seems like a simple, straightforward question, but I've been monkeying around for way too long trying to get a folder to execute simple folder action scripts to no avail. I know I have them attached, Folder Action Setup app indicates that Folder Actions are enabled, I went in and changed permissions. I don't know what else to do. I can get automator workflows to execute. Thats it. That isn't good enough for me because A) I want to know I can write my own script to do whatever without having to rely on Automator. Its a "Folder Action Script". I shouldn't need anything more than a text editor and Folder Action Setup. and B) I've been toying around with a script that's supposed to synch files and directories with a remote server but I can't test it because my script won't activate. It compiles with AppleScript Editor so I know its right. This is fustrating. I'm on 10.6

I think I just need a run down on what the experienced user does so I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I can give in and just use Automator, I think they give you the ability to edit your scripts to your desire, but still, it shouldn't be that restrictive, or call something other than a "Folder Action Script".