I can't start up my computer at all. I got a new SATA 500gb HD and installed it, BIOS detects it. I am trying to install windows XP on it but it keeps freezing when its loading everything, although sometimes i can get to where you press S to load the sata drivers from the floppy, cant get much further without it freezing, i do have the floppy with the drivers) The whole reason to get a new hard drive was to stop the freezing, but as you can see, it failed. I don't know what to do anymore.

I currenty have a
Compaq Presario SR2020NX ~2.2GHz
MOBO: A8M2N-LA
about 1.4Gb of ram
Was running windows xp

I have tried taking out each stick of ram at a time to see if that made a difference, but no. My computer even freezes if its just sitting on BIOS. When the freezes occur, the graphics on the screen garble, it just mixes up whatever was on the screen. Please help!

P.S: another reason besides the freezing that i formatted is because i had the axel.dav virus :P

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

HI
So evidently its not you're HD that was causing the pc to freeze.This looks like its a Hware problem.But try the following first.
OPen you're case and check if all fans are working. Apply some termal grease/paste to the back of you're CPU and bottom of you're Heat sink [section]
If it isnt overheating thats causing the problem than its certainly a Hware issue. Check that out first and well take from there
??
Good Luck

Are you trying to add the new drive or replace it? If you are trying to add it, try swapping around the position of the drives (Where they plug in). If you are replacing the drive, try putting the old drive in as well and swap plugs around if it still will not work.

Are you trying to add the new drive or replace it? If you are trying to add it, try swapping around the position of the drives (Where they plug in). If you are replacing the drive, try putting the old drive in as well and swap plugs around if it still will not work.

I dont think the HD is the prob. His PC keeps on freezing it started before he purchased the new drive he suspected the new drive was the prob but its still freezing.
So just a friendly note on that. :)

HI
So evidently its not you're HD that was causing the pc to freeze.This looks like its a Hware problem.But try the following first.
OPen you're case and check if all fans are working. Apply some termal grease/paste to the back of you're CPU and bottom of you're Heat sink [section]
If it isnt overheating thats causing the problem than its certainly a Hware issue. Check that out first and well take from there
??
Good Luck

where are the other fans and those two other things?

also, when my computer freezes, i see one of the fans still working

A standard PC usually have two fans. One on the Processor [the one on you board]and one on top of you're Keyboard and mouse plug ins.

>>where are the other fans and those two other things?<<

I suppose you reffering to the CPU (Central Processing Unit) and the Heatsink when you say "two other things" . That you can locate at the bottom of you're fan, the CPU fan. Its the silver metal 'block' when removing the fan and the 'silver metal block' (Heatsink) you'll see the CPU? processor witch is a greenish sqaure. apply some grease on the square without removing it it fit everything neatly back into their place.

NOTE:If you're not comfortable with pc's then Ill highly reccomend that you take you're PC to the local techy.
Cheers

I think you may be taking him a little to far down the track of excitement and despair. AMD processors have 19 thousand tiny pins on em, maybe even more than that, and they bend so easily if you mishandle them. And heatsink paste should not dry out.. so it is best not to remove the heatsink...just dust the fan, make sure it spins is all.

It definitely is a hardware issue since the
computer was freezing even before the user purchased a new hard drive.

Sometimes hardware devices or drivers installed in the Computer cause problem during installation of Operating Systems. It could be a VGA,NIC ,Sound,or any other Card.

I would suggest you to show your computer
to a hardware technician or vendor from whom you purchased this computer.

I agree with Frank, it's possibly a video chip issue, and if it is onboard video then the mb requires attention.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.