Dortz 38 Posting Whiz in Training

A group of internet pirates have generated a workaround for registration for some specific versions of Vista. Specifically, Business and Enterprise. The secret lies in Microsoft's new key management service (KMS) that allows companies (organizations, etc.) that have a lot of computers running vista, set up a local server for activation. The software is codenamed 'melindagates,' a reference to the infamous 'billgates' version of vista.

The actual hack is simple to do, just download and run the VMware server on the machine that is to be hacked, (the machine needs to be running the Business/Enterprise version of Vista) and Vista will essentially think it is connected via LAN to an activation server. These keys last for 180 days without a neccessary sync, so the aspiring pirate need not run VMware all the time.

This is only the first step in what I'm sure will be many more aiming toward actually producing a 100% workaround for vista Ultimate, which I'm sure is on the backburner in every hackers mind as they read this. I'm honestly just interested in an academic sense, I really want to see what they come up with for the 'Ultimate hack.'

Microsoft made the impossibly stupid mistake of saying that Vista was unhackable. I mean, it was going to happen eventually anyway, but, now, even I'M looking into it. Claiming that it is impossible makes it all the more rewarding for the hacker who does it.

In closing: don't get this hack. Even if you fully intend on 'acquiring' vista, I'd wait till after SP1, because this loophole in registration will surely be patched when fiji comes out. Stick with your pirated copy of XP pro for another year or so.