Hi

I have tried to find a way to have IE8's Add to Favorites option work like IE7. Using IE7, when one adds a website to Favorites one can continue to add other sites to the same folder. This is very useful for researching a topic and keeping links to websites organised. IE8 doesn't keep the last Favorites folder open. One has to start from the root folder each time. does anyone know how to set IE8 to save to the last Favorites folder that was used?

Geoff

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hi, closest i can come is this ,go to favorites chose add to favorites,popup , check attachement .

Hi, closest i can come is this ,go to favorites chose add to favorites,popup , check attachement .

Hi caperjack

I think that you are advising me to do what I aleady do. In IE8 at present if I want to save a webpage to my CSS folder. I either right click and select "Add to favorites" or I could go to the Favorites button or the Favorites menu. I then select my CSS folder. If I then find another web page with an interesting CSS article and decide to save it to my Favorites the default location should, surely be the last folder used in the Favorites folder?

Geoff

Hi caperjack

I think that you are advising me to do what I aleady do. In IE8 at present if I want to save a webpage to my CSS folder. I either right click and select "Add to favorites" or I could go to the Favorites button or the Favorites menu. I then select my CSS folder. If I then find another web page with an interesting CSS article and decide to save it to my Favorites the default location should, surely be the last folder used in the Favorites folder?

Geoff

one would think ,but it doesn't seem to happen that way

one would think ,but it doesn't seem to happen that way

Yes thanks caperjack. I have posted a query on the Microsoft Answers forum and will report back.

Yes thanks caperjack. I have posted a query on the Microsoft Answers forum and will report back.

The answer is that Microsoft have not included that feature in IE8 for "legal reasons". Apparently there had been nearly 12,000 complaints from users who want the option to Add to Favorites using the MRU folder restored in IE8. A previous forum question on exactly the same query as mine had been locked out by MS. Search for "add to favorites lockout" to read more.

Geoff

Another strange twist to this story. I have landed on one of the About.com pages and decided to Save to Favorites. On a right click, I find that the page is in a Google Chrome Frame and that option is not available. The page can be added to Favorites from the menu Bar though.

By disabling the option to save to the MRU folder in Favorites in IE8 it would seem that Microsoft can conveniently collect data about which URLs I save to in my Favorites, which sounds like an intrusion into my privacy, rather than they have disabled it for legal reasons. But then Microsoft is one of the good guys :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.