i need help with my dvd drives, one of them is a
LITE-ON COMBO SOHC-5236V
the other one is a
LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165H6S,

my computer will pick up the dvd drives, but no matter what i put in the dvd drives, it will not read or play anything...

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

Hi,
How old is the drive?
Did it work until recently?
Is there a yellow mark against the drive in Device manager?
Do you have a DVD cleaning disk for you DVD player at your TV? If so, put it in and clean the drive.

the dvd drives are only like 6 months old,
there are no yellow marks in device manager for them,
and yes the dvd drives did work, up untill i uninstalled two progams, which i believe were nero and roxio but even after reinstalling the software it has not worked.
i have tried to update the firmware as well,

*i have also took the dvd drivs and put them inside another computer and they read cd/dvds perfectly fine, only when in the original pc they read anything...and i have also bought a brand new dvd drive and put it in the computer and it reads and everything perfect*

Hi,
You have a new DVD drive that works well in this PC, and the drives work in another PC but not this one?
It just goes to prove that what Murphy said was right. "Whatever can go wrong, will"
Sorry but that makes no sense to me, maybe someone else here can help, but I am at a loss to offer any more suggestions. To me, it goes against all logic.
Maybe that other bloke was right when he said "Murphy was an optimist."

Hehe...
Murphy's law really is there lol... ok well some of the basic things that I can imagine is that the cable's are not good or there is a difference between your os and the other person's... The best way I can think of is to just make backups of ALL your info on your hard drive and reformat and redo your HDD... Also install a good Anti Virus software that is updated if you dont have any.

GL :)

And post if anything happens....

uninstall roxio is the cause of you problem ,with upper and lower filters in the registry .
this microdoft info should help fix you problem.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

thanks to every one that has responded so far, going to respond to eveyones post in this one...

i have already gone through and deleted the upper and lower filters, that did not solve the problem..
i have purchased a brand new IDE cable..and since i bought it the computer now reads that the dvd drives are plugged in and the os is reading it...
i dont think it would be an issue with the OS due to the fact that any other dvd drive will work in the PC..
and i do have the latest antivirus of norton 2010 on the computer..

Hi,
I am sorry, but you lost me somewhere, do you still have a problem? Did you do everything caperjack asked?
Did you read the information on the site I gave you about viruses and how the best anti- virus program can not guarantee to pick up all viruses and that there are things you can do to assist in preventing viruses.
And, yea, a re-installation of XP would be a major over reaction, do not go there.

i dont think it would be an issue with the OS due to the fact that any other dvd drive will work in the PC..

yes but does you dvd drive work in any other computer

and i do have the latest antivirus of norton 2010 on the computer..

sorry for you troubles,i wouldn't install that on my worst friend computer

i finally got my dvd drive to read movies again, thanks for all the help people if any one has an issue like this or there cd/dvd drive is missing from my computer download a file called cdgone...it is a registry fix and this will solve the problem

download a file called cdgone...it is a registry fix and this will solve the problem

wow haven't seen that since win95 ,when a viruse use to put out my cdrom, still have the batch file a tech wayback when made to fix it on a floppy somewhere

Spudly,
good to hear that you found a fix... :) although can I ask you to post a link to a place where we can download it from? I have recently got a laptop from a friend which seems to have a problem that it can read and write cd's and read any dvd's but movie dvd's oh and double-sided dvd's.... i would like to try that "cdgone" and see if it will fix my prob... Thx bro.. :)

Spudly,
good to hear that you found a fix... :) although can I ask you to post a link to a place where we can download it from? I have recently got a laptop from a friend which seems to have a problem that it can read and write cd's and read any dvd's but movie dvd's oh and double-sided dvd's.... i would like to try that "cdgone" and see if it will fix my prob... Thx bro.. :)

first thing up when i searched this word[cdgone] in www.google.com .
dought it will fix a dvd player that works for most dvd's ,what happens when you try to play a movie.
http://www.google.com/search?q=cdgone&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-ca:IE-ContextMenu&ie=&oe=

to every one that has helped thank you

i have fixed the issue with a registry fix called CDGONE its helps with issues with your computer reconizes your dvd/cd drives but will not read and or if your computer does not read your dvd/cd drives...

Hi again,
If you are now happy, please mark this thread as solved.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.