Hello

I 'suddenly' cannot open Facebook on my browser. All other pages load perfectly. I have run RegCure and set Facebook as a secure site, but no luck. Any suggestions? - have succesfully been running Facebook for a year now..

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

Try another web browser to see if it is the browser or something else.

Try another web browser to see if it is the browser or something else.

:'( No luck. I now see that I have the same problem with microsoft.com and adobe.com - the pages take an absolute decade to open, and when they do, it's almost gibberish??? This is, however, not the case with ALL .com sites. What the? Can anyone help??

I meant try another web browser like firefox or chrome.

What is the error message you get when trying to open the pages? This could be a DNS problem, or could be something with Java, or some other problem like a hijack program (disguised as a toolbar or something else).

What is the error message you get when trying to open the pages? This could be a DNS problem, or could be something with Java, or some other problem like a hijack program (disguised as a toolbar or something else).

No error message appears. The page takes forever to open, and when it does, it looks like FrontPage format (or .asp or whatever other code).

So, the page opens, but it just displays funky?

So, the page opens, but it just displays funky?

Yip. Takes 5-7 minutes to open the page though. But the same problem with a few other sites. Also, cannot download from certain sites - tried to load different browsers, but download says "done" without anything downloading... Should I just get this thing to IT support?

can you show us a screenshot of what you see?

Its Probably a hijack of the hosts File :

Open cmd (Start/Run/CMD)
Type in :
'notepad C:/Windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts'
A notepad window will open up, post its contents here...

P.S. If you are using Spybot then only paste the contents till
'# Start of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy'

Thats what i think but its probably this new setup_launcher FaceBook virus but after modifying the host file the virus will change it back.
if this is the case i will write full removal instructions. Or just get AVG antivirus its free

Thats what i think but its probably this new setup_launcher FaceBook virus but after modifying the host file the virus will change it back.
if this is the case i will write full removal instructions. Or just get AVG antivirus its free

Yes, but if we know the host file has been modified(unlikely), we know there's an infection and can give specific steps for cleanup...

Hiya... I'm having a problem like this on windows internet explorer and when i load it says internet explorer has experiecne a problem and has to close so i click the link which says more details and it comes up with a bit more information.
i can get on facebook on firefox and get on other websites on internet explorer but i would like to get on facebook on internet explorer.
please help
thanks

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

#
#
# space.
#
#
# For example:
#

127.0.0.1 localhost

#
#
# space.
#
#
# For example:
#

127.0.0.1 localhost

You really should post this as a new thread, but since you have already posted, amy b, you appear to be having a different problem than the OP. Try clearing your internet cache in IE and uninstalling all the tool bars you have installed. You may also need to check for a URL hijacker (usually embedded in a tool bar). You can use HijackThis to find entries that are out of place.

You could also be having a problem with Java, Flash or Silverlight. Try reinstalling any of those if you have them.

Again, please post as a new thread so you can get help quicker as it appears the OP has already fixed their problem.

Please install an updated JVM (Java Virtual Machine) on your system. I hope this solve your problem.

I can`t open facebook.com too.
Can anyone help me, please?
"Page load error" and there`s something in russian, but I can`t understand.
Please, help !

I can`t open facebook.com too.
Can anyone help me, please?
"Page load error" and there`s something in russian, but I can`t understand.
Please, help !

the Russian part bothers me virus perhaps ,did you scan for viruses .
or thy this open IE ,go tools /internet option and empty the temp internet files

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.