Ok guys I have a situation that im hoping someone can help me with. I just bought a laptop and want to be able to sync data between my computers. I am willing to take any suggestions on this. Here is how my personal home network is setup. I have two desktops, one is my main computer and the other is a server running win2k3 that isn’t setup for anything (but am willing to use it for anything). Right now I have a script that runs at 3am that backup my main computer to my server.

So what I want is to have my data on my laptop sync up, get all my files in My Documents, with my desktop when I log into it. Then be able to take my laptop to Starbucks or some place to do work and have all my files. Then when I get back home log into my laptop have my changed documents sync up. I hope that’s not confusing.

So im not sure if I need to use software for this or if setting my server for something, like a domain, will work. I thought about setting up my own domain w/o roaming profiles and redirecting My Documents. But I don’t think I will be able to get to my files on my laptop when im away from my home. Am I wrong here?

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

~Jay~

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I did something like this myself, I setup a two line script to map a drive on my laptop to a share on the desktop using NET USE then I XCOPY32 to update files between them.

I did something like this myself, I setup a two line script to map a drive on my laptop to a share on the desktop using NET USE then I XCOPY32 to update files between them.

That could work. My buddy brought up an idea that he thinks will work. He thinks that if you redirect My Documents and then turn on the "Offline files option it will keep a cashed version on the laptop. Then when you get back and have changed a file and log into you network it will sync and keep the newest edition of the file. Is he right?

That could work. My buddy brought up an idea that he thinks will work. He thinks that if you redirect My Documents and then turn on the "Offline files option it will keep a cashed version on the laptop. Then when you get back and have changed a file and log into you network it will sync and keep the newest edition of the file. Is he right?

So i tired the whole Offline files thing and it dosent work so well. I get an error saying that it cant find the share. It looks like its trying to sync up before my wireless card can get an address. I dont know what elese to try. Anyone else have any ideas?

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread17292-net+script.html

Here TKS has posted the setup procedure and a snippet for a batch file to do the mapping.

Once you get the share setup and the drive mapping via batch file you can add an xcopy line like this "xcopy c:\DATA\*.* z: /E /C /D" This copies all updated versions of files in my c:\DATA drive to the root of the network drive "z" while skipping files that are already identical.

You can read up on xcopy and xcopy32 and what command switches will do what, very powerful utility. If you come up with something snappy, please post it back here so people searching later can find it.

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread17292-net+script.html

Here TKS has posted the setup procedure and a snippet for a batch file to do the mapping.

Once you get the share setup and the drive mapping via batch file you can add an xcopy line like this "xcopy c:\DATA\*.* z: /E /C /D" This copies all updated versions of files in my c:\DATA drive to the root of the network drive "z" while skipping files that are already identical.

You can read up on xcopy and xcopy32 and what command switches will do what, very powerful utility. If you come up with something snappy, please post it back here so people searching later can find it.

Ok so that batch file will compaire the two folders and find the newest version or it will copy a file to the server if it isnt there right? Now will it go backwards, so if i edit something on my desktop and then i sync up with my laptop will it copy the file i created or edited on my desktop to my laptop? Is it two-way thats what im trying to say.

The easy fix is this:
-map drive
-copy c: z: if needed
-copy z: c: if needed

The problem is if you modify doc1.doc on your laptop, then you modify the copy of doc1.doc on your desktop, xcopy will write the laptop copy over the desktop copy because it is first in the list. I hope this illustrates the problem you are looking at.

I suggest you research the command switches available to see if it can be done. Here is one interesting link google produced to get you started: http://www.ekho.com/Training_Videos/XCOPY_NOTES.pdf

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.