my system is hp510n 512 mb ram 40 gb hard drive. i can open ms explorer and nero, mirc fine. but i cannot open my computer or hp pavillion or i.e. my desktop keeps shutting down due to error. i try all three options but they dont restore my active desktop. when i try to open the apps that i mentioned all my desktop icons disappear for one or two miutes and the desktop shutdown screen reappears. registry mechanic is the only program i have recently downloaded. i have tried system restore but it wont restore my computer to an earlier time. thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Are you running any anti-virus software?
If not try this:-

http://www.avast.com/i_idt_1016.html

Have you updated with the latest patches from Microsoft Windows Update?
If not try this and click Yes to install:-

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

Hope this helps

Aquarius
:)

as a matter of fact i am running avast. but everytime i try to d/l the patch it goes incomplete and i have tried all the methods to lower my security features but it doesnt help.

my system is hp510n 512 mb ram 40 gb hard drive. i can open ms explorer and nero, mirc fine. but i cannot open my computer or hp pavillion or i.e. my desktop keeps shutting down due to error. i try all three options but they dont restore my active desktop. when i try to open the apps that i mentioned all my desktop icons disappear for one or two miutes and the desktop shutdown screen reappears. registry mechanic is the only program i have recently downloaded. i have tried system restore but it wont restore my computer to an earlier time. thank you.

Have you used Registry Mechanic and made changes to your system? If so, do you know what they were?

You really should not 'fiddle' with programs which can alter the way your system works, or even disable functions entirely, because you can render the system unusable.

Does this sound like a potential explanation?

If so, and you've no idea what you've played around with, then perhaps a format/clean install is the best route to follow, avoiding the use of 'tinkering' programs next time round.

hello everybody about using avast i wouldn't recommend it sincerely i didn't like this program it has a little weakness on a patch that send a virus to my pc and later couldn't remove it at last found what it was and removed it

Use this link and scroll down to where it says Patch Availability
click on that and select your operating system:-
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-039.mspx
this should protect against Blaster virus

Use this link and scroll down to the section with your Operating System and download and run the patch:-
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-011.mspx
this should protect you against Sasser Virus

"setup could not verify integrity of update inf. make sure cryptographic system is operating on this computer" is the message i get when trying to install either of the patches. man im at a lost as to what to do now.

"setup could not verify integrity of update inf. make sure cryptographic system is operating on this computer" is the message i get when trying to install either of the patches. man im at a lost as to what to do now.

What Operating system are you using?

What Operating system are you using?

the system i was using was xp. but last night i talked to computer tech at best buy and told him my problem and he said i needed to upgrade to xp professional saying that would fix the problem. well i bought the upgrade installed it and it hasnt solved my problem at all. if reinstalling windows didnt work im at a real loss as to what to do now. if you have any ideas i would appreciate. thanks.

Are you set up with just one user acount ,If so have you tried creating a new user acct in control panel /users .
To see if it has the same troubles !

one of the main problems im having is i cannot open control panel the desktop icons go off for a few seconds and desktop goes blank for ten seconds whenever i try to open control panel.

Any error messages in your log files that might shed some light? Use the Event Viewer in your Administrative Tools package to view the logs.

the system i was using was xp. but last night i talked to computer tech at best buy and told him my problem and he said i needed to upgrade to xp professional saying that would fix the problem. well i bought the upgrade installed it and it hasnt solved my problem at all. if reinstalling windows didnt work im at a real loss as to what to do now. if you have any ideas i would appreciate. thanks.

The first thing you should do is contact your consumer protection authorities and report the completely incorrect advice you were given and the questionable practice of generating extra sales by telling bloody lies!

The next thing you should do is realise that the absolute worst place to ever get advice about computers is from the sales people who sell them to you!

You were told an outright lie, I'm afraid! I'm more than that - I'm outraged by the deceit!

The only way that Windows XP Professional Upgrade CD is going to help 'fix' anything on your PC is if you use it to perform a format and clean installation of Windows XP on your system, and that would mean wiping off all your installed programs and stored data files!

The only way that Windows XP Professional Upgrade CD is going to help 'fix' anything on your PC is if you use it to perform a format and clean installation of Windows XP on your system, and that would mean wiping off all your installed programs and stored data files!

I would tend to agree with Catweazle on this, sounds like a fresh install from scratch may be the best option. Have you got anything attached like a CD burner or USB memory stick so you can backup your documents/files etc?

I am sure if any one already mentioned this, but do you have the system recovery discs, hp either supplies them or you have to burn them, if burning software is working than you should be able to make the discs, using them to recover the state of your pc. Also you can set you pc back to a certain point in time (cant remember the phrasing) to before the time of the problem. If these methods dont work, get AVG anti virus
(http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl7.php)
and do a complete hard drive scan. If this also fails try tech support, and if they are of no help, re format and reintall windows.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.