Hello everyone!

I've been programming in PHP for 1 year and now I am looking forward to learn a computer programming language, but I am confuse...since there are several langauges out there. So what language you recommend?

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

How do you define the measure of complexity? If the measure is number of features the Ada, PL/I, or C++ would be near the top of the list. What about the ability to describe the same solution in a huge number of ways? Well, at that point my vote might be for Perl. Lack of clarity? Assemby language takes the crown, but Perl would have a special mention because at times it can resemble line noise. Then there are the huge number of languages that I either have no experience with or didn't bother to mention because they aren't very popular in the mainstream. Comparing languages is an exercise in futility unless you have a specific use in mind.

>So what language you recommend?
PHP is an Algol decendent, just like C, C++, C#, and Java. You would find the syntax of any one of those to be comfortable. However, there is much to be said about Lisp or one of its variants. While you may not use it--ever--you will learn a great deal about programming by learning a language that is so different. If you want to ease into the pool a little bit more slowly, go to C, C++, C#, and Java by way of Python and Perl.

In the end, the choice is yours and you should learn whatever language looks most interesting to you.

Hello everyone!

I've been programming in PHP for 1 year and now I am looking forward to learn a computer programming language, but I am confuse...since there are several langauges out there. So what language you recommend?

Thanks!

I think Java is a very good programming language. Not only it aids you building very strong OOPS principles its fairly easy to learn. Moreover it has very rich API set and you can choose which area you want to strengthen. Also the job market for JAVA is good.

Happy programming,
aj.wh.ca

Whitespace for being the most complex...

To get started with programming concepts I would recommend Python. Python borrows a lot from C, C++ and Java, also makes it easy to write and test your programs. Once you feel comfortable with programming, you then should make the transition to the ultimate powerhouse called C++ in my experience. Java is okay too and a little closer to Python.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.