hi,
I want to know why some programming languages are so powerful,while others go away easily.
Although C is an old one,it is used very much today (in c++ or Java).
What properties do they have that keeps them alive,and what the languages like pascal or other -that I don't know- don't have that they aren't used anymore?
Who knows the foundation of them?
I am really interested to know that.

thx,

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Programming languages have always existed to help programmers solve problems. Sometimes, there may be a class of problem that no programming language available at the time will be able to help solve easily, despite whatever libraries it may have. In such a case, a new programming language is written. C is very powerfull for system calls and for doing anything at the low level. On the other hand, if you wanted to use C code to write your webpage, that would be quite a challenge.

Now it /is/ true that there are more than one programming language per class of problems. There are many reasons for this. But I feel that one of the most important reasons for this is that there are so many different languages out there that people want to code in their preferred languages. This is when libraries come about. For example, my preferred language is Python. But if I wanted to do "web stuff" then it shouldn't be the case that I will /have/ to learn a new language. This is why there are things like Django, Pylons etc. They integrate into the syntax of my preferred language (python), functionality that lets me do "web stuff"

Hope this helps

hi,
I want to know why some programming languages are so powerful,while others go away easily.
Although C is an old one,it is used very much today (in c++ or Java).
What properties do they have that keeps them alive,and what the languages like pascal or other -that I don't know- don't have that they aren't used anymore?
Who knows the foundation of them?
I am really interested to know that.

thx,

There are many programming languages.For programmers each language is useful as per the application they want to make.So as per application specific we can choose the language. Almost all of them shows Java, C and C++ as the most popular. I wonder how PHP, which was created explicitly for web development and is rarely used for other purposes. C is procedure oriented where C++ and JAVA is Object Oriented languages. So to write code in C++ and JAVA is very easy then C.As C++ and JAVA follows OOPS(Object oriented programmning) concepts.

thank you for your help
but the main question for me was "what are the features of these languages that makes them popular"
why other languages aren't used ?
but i got my answer fortunately
thank you all

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.