I have a reduced function and one of the product terms is: B * C(not) * D + B(not) * C * D.

Is that considered an XOR gate?

Im aware that B * C(not) + B (not) + C is an XOR gate because When i do the truth table it has the characteristic of an XOR gate, but Im not sure about that terms above. Thank you

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

If i'm not mistaken, (B * C(not) * D) + (B(not) * C * D) can be rewritten as (B XOR C) * D
I'm not sure if this is what you're after. But if I were to construct a triple gate XOR, I think it would look like this: (B(not) * C(not) * D) + (B(not) * C * D(not)) + (B * C(not) * D(not))

Good luck to you!
Emil Olofsson

yeah thats what I was after. SO, (B * C(not) * D) + (B(not) * C * D) , is considered an XOR type gate correct?

Well, I would not really like to call (B * C(not) * D) + (B(not) * C * D) a complete XOR gate. In that case, it would be some kind of incomplete, inverted XOR gate that I've never heard of, so I won't answer that question. However, I have some guidelines for you: XOR means exclusive OR, which in turn means that ONE and only one of the input variables shall be true in order to signal true.

The only use I can think of for a gate in your case is if you would like an ordinary XOR gate with the ability to enable/disable output (the signal D in this case).

I see, Ok. Thank you very much for responding :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.