No language is powerful and no onw is waek. All the programming language has its own pros and cons. But, Still PHP, ASP.NET, Java etc. programming language are highly demanfable in the market and are used in big projects.

I find little difficult to answer this question. I amazed buy seeing some answer like java is the best .ne is the best, i don't know on what basis they answered like that. Each and every language has its on positive and negative side. If we are already found that any particular language is the best language then why is there so many Lang? If one Lang is limited in doing any particular thing the next Lang will have a solution for that.

use Python, if you are doing web programming, you should probably ues something like Python for your backend language.

Java is bad
.NET is very bad (anything MS-based is bad)

C is the next closest thing to ASM, and C++ is a slightly dirtier extension of C

I personally prefer python... it's not as powerful, but it's the simplest language I've seen. :)
(Python3 is a little more powerful, but I specifically use Python27 for PyOpenGL)

EDIT:
forgot about D as mentioned by NardCake.
I hear that it's a little more powerful than C

i think c...!!!

It really isn't about the language; most 'languages' do usually the same factors although their techniques are different.Instead, you should ask about what frameworks or collections are available. This is the type of factors which allows you to do the specific factors you want to do after you have been enjoying around with all the general-purpose factors you do when you are a beginning developer.

commented: you're basically calling LUA or JS powerful languages, and they're not. +0

JAVA is most powerful programming language?

i prefered java ...

It really isn't about the language; most 'languages' do usually the same factors although their techniques are different.

by those standards you're basically calling something as horrid as JavaScript a powerful programming language.
JS and LUA are the worst I know of.
Python is only about half as powerful as C, though it's written in C++.

.NET languages are RAM heavy, and start out slow while the .NET Framework collects everything used by the program.
Java is very similar, but the problem with it is how messy and confusing it's code is.
these languages are usually perhapse a tad more powerful than Python
(it's hard to put a rating on these when you don't know exact values)

PS:
whoever downrated my last post, get some knowledge on languages before downrating.
I base my statements off known facts.

I'm not some noob who's here to say "oh I think Java's the best".
Though I'll admit, I need a better backup on my statements. :P

about the D language in my last post, I'm in a skype chat with NardCake who absolutely adores the language about as much as I adore python for it's simplicity.
(I can rate Python as being the simplest programming language I know about)

I think that a reasonable definition of "most powerful" is: omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent.

What programming language is effective in all contexts, from small embedded systems to large super-computers? What language is effective at writing both small utility programs (e.g., command-line tools) and complex applications (e.g., compilers, computer games, servers)? What language can effectively express simple programming tasks without too much clutter or overhead, but also complex infrastructure with many layers of abstraction? What language is present everywhere, from core operating system functionality, to forming the foundation of most end-user applications out there?

The answer is obvious: C++

D could be a contender since it was specifically designed to follow most of the principles of C++, and is mostly C++ with a cleaner syntax (especially for compile-time mechanisms). But it has a long way to go in terms of adoption and field testing, because C++ is nearly 30 years ahead on that front.

That's another important thing that people don't consider enough when comparing the "qualities" of different languages. Having several years or decades of collective experience with a language is a huge benefit, and it's something that adds a lot to the "power" of a language: good established practices, a large community of experienced developers, lived through several trial-and-error cycles, a large body of library code, a wealth of development tools, etc... In other words, you cannot just evaluate its "power" by the language rules or design.

commented: I think you forget C is closer to the level of ASM, and C++ is just as pretty as it is ugly, good post though ;) +3

most used doesn't mean most powerful. At BEST it means most useful.
In reality it doesn't even mean that, as more often than not the tool choice is made not based on what's the best tool for the job but on which vendor made the best deal with the managers of the parent company now owning your development department a decade or more ago to do something completely different.
And THAT more often than not comes down to which vendor had the best sales pitch, the smoothest suited marketing people, and selected the best restaurants to entice the board of that parent company.

As the saying went in a large company I used to work for as a consultant "our purchase policy as as follows: if IBM sells it, buy it. If they don't, buy the most expensive".

commented: I can agree, but I can also disagree... Just make sure you're not putting something as crappy as .NET (worse than Java) in the limelight. +3

usually Java Csharp or c++ but, ideally you ll need to learn OOP and you should be as flexible as you can. For eg nowadays Node.js or Angular.js developers get loads of money even more than many Java/C developers , you can t simply say js is shit scripting language as you need to be professional and make money try to code in different languages if you can.

commented: it's not about the money when comparing to ASM, it about how much, or should I say, how little work the code has to do... Java and C# are nightmares and dirty... at least Java's better than C# since it doesn't use MS-specific interfaces. +0

Definitivelly the most powerfull language of all times is...

English.

The most powerfull computer is an...

Engineer.

Explain your problem to an Engineer in English, and he/she will solve it!

Easy, isn't it?

commented: do you know what a computer is? +0

Fortran, C/C++ are the most powerful programming languages. They are used to program the most powerful computers, super computers.

i think no programming language is the most powerfull in all senses
every langauage has its own importance and application but the logic behind every language and concepts are all the same just the difference of syntax :)

commented: I think you need to look into how various languages work... C is the closest you can get to ASM, though even it's compiler coughs. +0

There is a universal programming language. It's called binary. So start programming in binary!

commented: that's basically ASM op-codes written down in hexidecimal, read the OP -1

Yep, it's C++. It gives you better ability to make and use abstractions than almost any other language and better ability to micromanage the low level than any other language (and that includes C).

commented: at least you're trying :) -1
Member Avatar for iamthwee

Has anyone mentioned flash actionscript 3.0 yet?

commented: that's a web/game language like JS, it's not exactly powerful. -1

Correcting myself from earlier as I've learned alot more now, if you want the most powerful, go for C.
It has the lowest level API of all languages with very few distractive features.

If you want a little more ease of abstracted code, go for D,
it's alot cleaner than C++ and compiles nicer, as my friends report.
(I personally like to call C++ the "Java" of lowest level languages) :P

Java and C# (any .NET language) is dirty and bad to get into.
(the .NET API makes things a complete mess and promotes bad practises)
^ it's just like Microsoft to lead people down the wrong paths as usual. :P

If you don't like having to deal with various compilation issues,
I recommend Python2.7 for being interpreted and fully portable.
(Python3 isn't really my cup of tea, especially since I'm a PyOpenGL programmer and need performance)
^ Python3 is faster, but PyOpenGL runs slower due to extensive value testing.

for ASM in particular (not pertaining to the OP): (I don't know too much here)
- FASM is the most portable (so I've been told, fasm.dll must be a wrapper)
- MASM is the most preferred (from what I hear about the internet)
the x86_64 instruction set is the most used between everything that isn't PPC (for what I know anyways)

EDIT: btw, if you want to downvote me, at least have the decency to tell me why, and back it up with raw knowledge.

If you want a little more ease of abstracted code, go for D,
it's alot cleaner than C++ and compiles nicer, as my friends report.
(I personally like to call C++ the "Java" of lowest level languages) :P

I must object... I'm guessing you were betting on that (from seeing that ":P"). But don't play with me, cause you're playing with fire.

First of all, I think that the foul language is uncalled for. By foul language, I mean, of course, the word "Java". C++ does not deserve to be insulted and befouled like that.

Second, the D language shares far more similarities to Java than C++ does. In many ways, D is a kind of "Java'ified C++". D has modules, interfaces, garbage collection, finally blocks (aka the modern-day "goto") and no preprocessor. I used to love the ideas in the D language, when it first started, but I've been hating it more and more since they threw in all these stupid Java'isms.

The fact that the D language advocates call it a system language is laughable. If you are going to write system code in D, you are going to be relying on a heck of a lot of C code, to the point that you might as well just ditch the D code altogether.

And if you find that C++ is not clean and doesn't compile nice (whatever that means), then you're doing it wrong, especially since C++11/14.

if you want to downvote me, at least have the decency to tell me why, and back it up with raw knowledge.

I've seen that you've downvoted (with comment) a lot of people on this thread alone. Please remember that downvoting + comment is actually down-rep'ing (lowering the reputation of the member). This is not a "whoever gives the right answer, gets the votes" type of forum, it is a discussion forum. The idea is generally to express your pro- / counter-arguments as posts on the thread. The upvotes / downvotes are more about giving a token of recognition or reprimand about the quality of the post. They're not really meant to be used for dissent, and it's not really fair to use them that way, in my opinion (and as a moderator). That's because there is no way to directly respond to down-rep's (you can't refute or defend from them) and it leaves a kind of "stain" on a member's reputation that isn't deserved unless the post was reprehensible in some way.

I would say that a good guideline for the typical reasons for downvotes and down-rep'ing are the forum rules, which are mainly about being kind, clear, pleasant, etc.. If people break the rules, just flag the post as a "bad post" for the moderators to judge. But, there are many cases where people post things that don't quite break the rules but are leaning towards that, and those would be deserving of a down-vote or down-rep, IMO. A poster who is trying to be informative and clear / kind / pleasant / etc.., but just happens to express an opinion different from yours doesn't really deserve a down-rep, in my opinion. But of course, you can do whatever you want (but note that we (moderators) have acted on cases of down-rep-harrassment in the past, so, the "within bounds of reason" principle applies here, in addition to Wheaton's law, of course ;) ).

commented: nice :) +4

I don't know what is "best". Try to start a what is the best football club(fill in whatever you want: banana, car, country etc.) thread; endless, shoreless discussions will follow.
@Mike The original song is "Play with fire" by The Rolling Stones, B-side on their 1965 hit single "The last time"

@mike: I wasn't exactly downvoting, or down-rep-ing, for right vs wrong.
if you read the comments on most of them, the downvote is because of the ignorance.

and I've got something to show my guys, if I could up-vote you multiple times, I would! =D

EDIT:
I appologize for C++ btw
that's my own ignorance and following the knowledge of everyone else in my skype group, particularly Madao and Apott (Nardcake on here) who prefer C over C++ for that reason.

and yes, APott is the one who married D
(same as how I've married Python2.7) :P

EDIT2:
btw, if you want to downvote that post (@mike), feel free. ;)
@everyone else: please back your downvote up so I may learn.

btw, there's only 1 language that's more powerful than C,
and it's a C-based language.
GLSL

why?
the GPU is thousands of times more powerful than the CPU.
the GPU isn't recursive though and was designed mainly for pixel operations with some program support.

I'm using python as a backend, but I'm using GLSL for my power.

for example, my program UMC:
all of the conversion between formats will happen on the CPU
but all of the display and animation rendering (everything you see) will happen on the GPU.
(this includes the calculations for per-frame operations for controlling the GUI with feedback and such)

I'm not entirely sure what the GPU supports, but last I heard/read, it wasn't recursive, which is one MAJOR reason (almost THE reason) for it's power.
the only other reason is the amount of cores the GPU has which now lies above 900

I'm not sure if the GPU supports multi-threading, though I think it does.

if you think I don't know what I'm talking about, this is done in python2.7:
(the GUI is entirely CPU-controlled except for the display list on event recompilation)
http://lh3.ggpht.com/-no-otiqQ53w/VNAbcUUZ7eI/AAAAAAAAIaw/ivIOp0Wv5pM/s802/scrollbutton.png
I'm not using the GL Feedback Buffer here
instead, I'm defining my own system called Hit-Defs,
which are those green, yellow, and red boxes overlaying the UI.

the GL system I'm using here though is majorly outdated...
I'm using the GL Fixed Function Pipeline (FFP)
this will be updated later on with pure GLSL, where all of the CPU control will be done on the GPU.

commented: not available on mac minis or laptops -3

btw, there's only 1 language that's more powerful than C,
and it's a C-based language.
GLSL

This is wrong because I don't have a GPU on my mac mini, Tcll what about actionscript 2.0? Is that more powerful.

@iamthwee: I already told you actionscript was a web language
I'm not sure what the most powerful web-language is,
I only paid attention to the most powerful language for building executable files.

also, my laptop supports GLSL... :3
(though yes, not all laptops have GPUs, though most do)
^ I have yet to run into a modern laptop (WinXP+) w/o a GPU.

and I don't look up to Apple, I don't even think they know what shaders are. :P
lol jk

for what I know, macs are better development machines for audio or anything that doesn't require hardcore PC-gaming standards.
(that doesn't mean something like Blender can't be used on it, it just means Blender will run better on something better)

I'm actually curious now if any macs at all have a GPU >.>
lol

commented: blender works fine if not better in os x or linux, incorrect information +0

Blender runs just fine in my mac mini, and by GPU I'm not talking about onboard graphics, we're talking about external ones right, and mainly all the development is for nvidia. So that limits you a lot right.

And you can build an executable in flash. Have you heard of flash air?

analize my post before downvoting, I was talking about the hardware, not the OS.
I'm quite sure the run-process is more optimized on mac/linux.

I accept your first downvote, but you should correct that 2nd.
___

and I'm rather talking about both, it doesn't matter where the GPU is, as long as you have one and it supports a good portion of GLSL to where you don't need the GL-FFP.
I have an onboard IntelGFX 82845G that lightly supports GLSL.
(I'm not sure if it supports pixel buffers or vertex buffers)
___

EDIT: also, I like to avoid downvoting if I can talk it out...
(as you can see for me not downvoting you for downvoting me with the same reason in your post)
I know it doesn't look like it so much above,
where I downvoted for just plain ignorance to a flat (plain and simple) question.

that's another thing too, for all of my downvotes, I don't have any posts after it repeating the reason for downvoting...
it's one or the other there.

analize my post before downvoting, I was talking about the hardware, not >the OS.
I'm quite sure the run-process is more optimized on mac/linux.

Explain, why is the hardware worse on macs then windows, what part of blender are you talking about rendering/cycles... An nvidia gpu will be the same in windows and macs. It doesn't make any sense why blender runs better on something other than os x, what are you doing?

I accept your first downvote, but you should correct that 2nd.

Why? You also said flash is not an executable I showed you adobe air, so?

and I'm rather talking about both, it doesn't matter where the GPU is

Once again if a lot of systems are limited to whether they have a GPU to specifically nvidia as this is where all the good stuff is, isn't that a legitimate point when considering the most powerful language.

If it doesn't work on 50% of systems we have a problem. I could say quantum computing is the most powerful but if it has yet to be implemented in a practical sense it is null and void.

Explain.

Explain, why is the hardware worse on macs then windows, what part of blender are you talking about rendering/cycles... It doesn't make any sense why blender run better in windows.

again, I'm not talking about the OS...
install OSX on a gaming-PC and compare it to a mac running OSX.
(yes, both the PC and Mac support the x86_64 instruction set, and have, we'll say quad-core CPUs)

I'm not knowledgable enough to make a solid claim,
though I do believe Blender would run better on the PC.

Why you also said flash is not an executable I showed you adobe air, so?

I've never used AIR, is AIR an IDE that compiles ActionScript into an EXE??
last I heard it was a utility for installing .air files.

no, ActionScript is used for making .swf files used on the web
ActionScript is a web language
ActionScript is far less powerful than something like C++, as, if I'm not mistaken, .swf files contain interpreted bytecode played using Adobe Flash Player.

meaning ActionScript is more comparable to Python, which in itself is far from as powerful as expected by the OP.

with Python though, unlike ActionScript, Python can be compiled into executable files, and .pyd files have the exact same layout as .dll files.
(.pyd files are .dll files compiled with python)
^ I've built one for my matrix handler in my program.

Once again if a lot of systems are limited to whether they have a GPU to specifically nvidia as this is where all the good stuff is, isn't that a legitimate point when considering the most powerful language.

If it doesn't work on 50% of systems we have a problem.

I can agree with this, in fact, this deserves an up-vote for this point

yes, this is exactly why GLSL was considered, for the computers (in general) that support it, look at how powerful the hardware actually is.
___

comparing your argument of the mac mini not supporting GLSL (as it's not a gaming PC), is like comparing andriod not being able to run PPC_ASM (if I'm guessing right) opcodes.

not every device is meant to perform the same as everything else.

again, I'm not talking about the OS...
install OSX on a gaming-PC and compare it to a mac running OSX.

Wait have you heard of the mac pro. Have you seen the specs? Have you seen the benchmarks?

I'm not knowledgable enough to make a solid claim,
though I do believe Blender would run better on the PC.

Again, your beliefs are irrelevant, prove to me, in simplistic terms where blender runs better on a pc then on a mac? What parts of blender, rendering/animation. I use blender day in day out. I'd like to know why I should switch to a pc.

I've never used AIR, is AIR an IDE that compiles ActionScript into an EXE??

Have you googled it? Did you see the word desktop application with adobe air, if you did the answer is self explanatory. Again your beliefs are irrelevant?

with Python though, unlike ActionScript, Python can be compiled into executable files

Again did you google adobe air files?

not every device is meant to perform the same as everything else

Indeed, but what do you define as powerful? Most versatile? Fastest, you've downvoted everyone who has put down java or similar, and you say python is more powerful than actionscript whereas I could show you that it could do a similar job.

You also said android can't run ASM
http://flaviusalecu.com/post/3788777450

So please explain WITH actual proof of links instead of stating your beliefs which are unfounded...

I'm waiting your reply.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.