I just wanted to know what famous algorithms that you should have in hand? or be familiar with? or That is always used?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Unfortunately, there are so many and could depend on different situation & topic. You may not just keep only one algorithm and discard all others because there could be a situation when one of the others is better than the one you keep.

This question is too broad...

I didn't say discard others, what's not understandable about that? I was asking the usual algorithms that are being used.

OK, if not discard, but how about "ignore" instead? If and only if there is one or a couple and you want to be familiar with, what are you going to do with others if you are not going to ignore or discard?

Anyway, the question is still too broad... Be more specific. It is not like there are a couple problems in the world that you can just pick a few famous algorithms to solve these problems...

A general understanding of trees and caching associative operations in their internal nodes will never go out of style.

All algorithm you need to know are usually already implemented efficiently by the libraries or some other well known vendors. Your job should be to efficiently use them to complete your project and increase your productivity. Of course this doesn't mean you shouldn't know that basic concepts, like sorting, trees, hashing, dynamic programming, greedy programming and possibly linear programming.

All algorithm you need to know are usually already implemented efficiently by the libraries or some other well known vendors. Your job should be to efficiently use them to complete your project and increase your productivity.

This is completely not true.

This is completely not true.

For the most part it should be, especially judging from @OP's post, I wouldn't expect him to be doing any problem that hasn't been solved or has a variant of the solution he needs.

For the most part it should be, especially judging from @OP's post, I wouldn't expect him to be doing any problem that hasn't been solved or has a variant of the solution he needs.

Unless, of course, your expectations were wrong!

How about "Swap Algorithm"? I think everyone at least used it once in programmer life.

I recommend studying Design Patterns. And Refactoring. This will build skills that you will use constantly.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.