I've looked around the forums and did not find a lot of book reviews, so I figure I'll ask.

Generally speaking, what are some good programming books? Any specific authors or series that you would recommend?

Now to be more detailed, I know C++ and Java, and am familiar with VB 6.0. I was going to get into .NET I have not worked with it yet and know very little about it. What would be a good book to start with for .NET?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

For Visual Basic, I would recommend getting the 'Visual Basic.NET Bible', written by Bill Evjen, Jason Beres and various others. It rpovides an excellent explanation of the differences between v6 and .NET and also has very clear explanations and perfectly understandable example programs for you to try. It certainly helped me to understand much more about the language than I knew already.

As for Java, I would recommend 'Java Collections: Abstract Data Types, Data Structures and Algorithms', written by David Wyatt and Deryck F. Brown. It has excellent explanations of some of the more complex abstraction and data structure concepts within the language. For a more general I would recommend 'Java in Two Semesters'. It's not one that I've read but I've been reliably informed that it's very easy to understand and covers all of the basic concepts. It's designed as a university book but is perfectly suitable for anyone really.

As far as C++.NET books go I would go for the 'Visual C++.NET Bible', by Tom Archer and Andrew Whitechapel. It does have a heavy focus on MFC though If you are looking for something that focuses totally on the specific .NET aspects then I would look elsewhere although it does contain a few chapters on the framework.

Hope this helps.

nice ill defnetly check thoses out!

Hi,

Application series books published by VK publishers are good.

Regards
Bhar

I've looked around the forums and did not find a lot of book reviews, so I figure I'll ask.

Generally speaking, what are some good programming books? Any specific authors or series that you would recommend?

Now to be more detailed, I know C++ and Java, and am familiar with VB 6.0. I was going to get into .NET I have not worked with it yet and know very little about it. What would be a good book to start with for .NET?

If u want to learn DrScheme programming language "How to Design Program" is legendary.You can find it www.htdp.org
We use it also in our lessons.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.