We have been using dbase4 in our workshop for all our database requirments for the last 12 years. for example our stores management, finances, salaries, challans, quotations etc. Now i want to upgrade to open source software, but i am quite unsure as to whether "mysql" will fulfill all my requirments. We have done a lot of programming in dbase IV to suit our requirments. Is MySQL as powerful as dbase when concerned with programming features. We have about 15 pc's in our lan and we dont need the internet features provided by mysql. My primary requirment is a decent frontend for database & relatively easy programming . Also i am quite frustrated with CLI of MySQL. Please help!!!

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I don't know much about DBase 4. Is that still even on the market? I believe that it should be powerful enough to do regular database stuff, but I really don't know until I get a better handle on what your DB looks like. Also, you might want to check out www.phpmyadmin.net . That is a web based admin interface to mysql to relieve you of the frustration that you are feeling. If you have any more question, post a reply.

-HTH,
Tino

We have been using dbase4 in our workshop for all our database requirments for the last 12 years. for example our stores management, finances, salaries, challans, quotations etc. Now i want to upgrade to open source software, but i am quite unsure as to whether "mysql" will fulfill all my requirments. We have done a lot of programming in dbase IV to suit our requirments. Is MySQL as powerful as dbase when concerned with programming features. We have about 15 pc's in our lan and we dont need the internet features provided by mysql. My primary requirment is a decent frontend for database & relatively easy programming . Also i am quite frustrated with CLI of MySQL. Please help!!!

Thanks

I think Mysql is the next thing for you. Good Luck
Popsana
<EMAIL SNIPPED>

MySQL does not have any native GUI as MS Access have. You can choose from a lot of 3rd party MySQL GUIs. There is another open source option available i.e. PostgreSQL.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.