harfmt 0 Newbie Poster

I support a jet 4.0 database application that is deployed out to multiple users. These users have different types of Windows Operating Systems. There is some support from the vendor for this system, but they are not able to answer all problems. The data files live on a central server and are accessed from each user's PC where the database application is installed.

One recurring problem is the inserting of bitmap images into the database via a front end screen. The image is then also displayed on the same front end screen. The file must be a mspaint bitmap with a .BMP extension and must be a certain size and that's about it. On certain machines, and I can't pin it down to a particular OP, the image appears on the input display screen with its file name displayed! and the picture is distored or tiny. I can go to another machine and insert the same image in the same way - no file name displays and the image looks fine. I then go back to the machine that I was originally having the problem with, open the database and bingo! the image looks perfect.

I've tried many things including :
- making sure mspaint is the default for all bitmaps
- removing/disabling other imaging software from machine

I've had a look at the registry and attempted to make mspaint the default there as well. Not sure if I've done that correctly or thoroughly.

I've found that indexed images always seem to cause a problem. But, the problem also happens with non-indexed RGB images as well. I think that it is something else (imaging software?) interfering with the insertion process.

Has anyone else come across this problem before? I would welcome any facts or educated guesses.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.