I have a query that brings though a list of passenger names, is there a way in which I can set the length of each of these names to equal 10 characters. So even if I have shorter names eg "bob, demarcus, adam and scott" they would display with the shorter names filled by spaces, eg:

bob |demarcus |adam |scott

My Query is:

(SELECT   tb2.journey_dttm as departure, ('8' - tb2.occupancy) AS seats,
(SELECT IF(GROUP_CONCAT(passenger_name SEPARATOR '|') IS NULL, '', GROUP_CONCAT(passenger_name ORDER BY passenger_name SEPARATOR '|')) 
FROM passengers WHERE journey_id = tb2.id ORDER BY passenger_name) AS passengers FROM shuttle AS tb1 LEFT JOIN journey AS tb2 ON  ";
( tb1.id = tb2.shuttle_id ) LEFT JOIN trip_route AS tb3 ON ( tb2.route_id = tb3.id )
WHERE tb1.depart_dttm = '$depart_dttm' ORDER BY tb2.id ASC, tb2.route_id ASC);
Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by manojjena1982

output into a table, and the width will adjust to the widest name, or set the td widths
tables are still useful for tabular data

Hi, it is being output to a table, but all of the passnger names go as a list within a passenger td, is it not possible to do something in the SQL query?

Hi, it is being output to a table, but all of the passnger names go as a list within a passenger td, is it not possible to do something in the SQL query?

sql provides the output data (in rows)
formatting is done by your php script & the html css it generates
nest tables,

<tr>
<td>
<table><tr><TD></td></tr></table>
</td>
<td>
<table><tr><TD></td></tr></table>
</td>

But my tables are created dynamically by the sql query, so I cannot hardcode in the nested tables, could I perhaps change my seperator from | to a html element that would organise the display?

dynamically code the nested tables the same way the code generates the tables.
The code you have makes horizontal lines
one way is to output the sql query

<tr><td>$s</td><td>$s</td><td>$s</td><td>$s</td><td>$s</td></tr>

one way to make vertical lines

<td>%s<br>%s<br>%s<br>%s<br>%s<br>%s<br>%s<br></td>

its your code, mauck around with it :)

Hi!
Try this..

create table data2 as select rpad(name,10,' ') as name  from data
select length(name) from data2

here i am creating a table with the select statement to find out the length on other table. So, its coming as 10.

I think it may help you

manoj

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.