i want to insert data into third table for two tables
that is first table:table struct: pid -->int,name-->string ..etc
second table :cid -->int,parentid-->int....etc
third table struct is:pid-->int,cid-->int
now iwant to insert data into third table from the other two tables
pid from first table is a prime key and pid from third is a foreign key to it
cid-->prime key and cid in third table is foreign to it.
i.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hi srpa01red and welcome to DaniWeb,

This is certainly doable. But I have to ask, if the third table only contains those two fields, is it necessary to create the third table? From the looks of the structure of the second table, you already have that information in that table. Or am I misunderstanding what you are trying to accomplish here?

You can do it in following manner
insert into table3 (pid,cid) select a.pid,b.cid from table1 a cross join table2 b

As darkagn said, your case doesnt need this to be done. Its already there

actually the two tables are imported and want to insert the data into third tablei.e pid from first table and cid from second table

actually the two tables are imported and want to insert the data into third tablei.e pid from first table and cid from second table

By "imported" do you mean that they are in a different database? Is the database on another MySQL server?

By "imported" do you mean that they are in a different database? Is the database on another MySQL server?

the data is imported from a .csv file

But if the data is imported into the first two tables, I don't think you need the third table. Table 2 has the information that you require in Table 3, so you would just be duplicating data.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.