Hi,

I've been asked to create a proof of concept for a new database tool we need to develop, combining various existing databases.

It’s been awhile since I’ve touched any database work and I’m a little unsure how to go about it.

Let me explain the problem...the analogy I’m using here isn’t perfect but it fits to a degree.

We have two existing tables that must be combined. we have employees and their assigned projects (many to many)

And we have another table with projects and the tasks that decompose then (many to many once more)

Is it possible to create a query that joins the two tables on project?

So that we basically end up with a table with employees | project | task

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Yes, you can build a query like that. All you need to do is join the query on the project attribute. Have you tried to do this? Are you running into a problem?

Yes, you can build a query like that. All you need to do is join the query on the project attribute. Have you tried to do this? Are you running into a problem?

thanks for the reply, i had tried it and did run into issues, nothing i tried was returning any rows at all. of course doubting my own database skills i though i was doing something horribly wrong!

turns out the contents of project was spelt ever so slightly differently in each table. stupid mistake.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.