Hello...

I need to get data from one table while omitting data that exist in the other table. This is the query I am running but I keep on getting duplicates since there are more the one row in the second table.

Table1 - 'countries' with fields 'Country_Code' and 'Country_Name'
Table2 - 'allow' with field 'Country_Code'

SELECT countries.Country_Code, Country_Name FROM countries, allow WHERE countries.Country_Code != allow.Country_Code ORDER BY Country_Name

Since there are multiple rows in table2(allow) I get duplicate results.

Any help would be appreciated.

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by jbisono

try this. SELECT DISTINCT countries.Country_Code, Country_Name FROM countries, allow WHERE countries.Country_Code != allow.Country_Code ORDER BY Country_Name Regards.

Just tried that,

It removes the duplicate but, it selects all the records from countries database and does not check allow database for existing records.

Thanks For the Response...

SELECT DISTINCT countries.Country_Code, Country_Name FROM countries INNER JOIN allow ON countries.Country_Code != allow.Country_Code ORDER BY Country_Name

What about that.

Still an issue. it still gets records which it should not for != Compare.

I could try to use a different query to check if the Country Code exist in the second table but if I put it in a loop it will do something like 400 queries which is not good for the DB. Really trying to avoid that.

Ok, I think I am a little lost lets put some data into that table
COUNTRIES
USA - UNITED STATES
DR - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
MX - MEXICO
PR - PUERTO RICO

ALLOW
DR
MX

So what you are saying is that in ALLOW table you can have multiple DR and MX?

That is exactly how my tables are set up. the problem is that I want to get the Country Name along with their Country Code, but I do not want that information for the countries which are in the allow table. in this case DR and MX.

With that table data above, I would run the query to get only these records:
RESULTS
USA - UNITED STATES
PR - PUERTO RICO

SELECT country_code, countries
FROM countries
WHERE (country_code NOT IN
(SELECT CountryCode
FROM allow))

ok so your statement should be like this.
regards.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.