Topic
The topic of this question is: db_Connect does not connect.
Hello and Thank you in advance for any assistance.

System info:netbeans project,database attached or provided at:
http://cid-b5cb457363230793.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/school.zip

The purpose of this post is: Try to get a sql statement to work

The functionality of this code is:

·  	"SELECT u.uid, firstName, lastName, address1, address2, city, postCode, email, phone, ug.groupName as userGroup "
·  	+"FROM user u, usergroup ug WHERE uid='"+userName+"' AND password='"+password+"' AND groupName IN"
·  	+" (SELECT groupName FROM usergroup WHERE groupid =(SELECT groupid FROM usergroup_mapping WHERE uid=u.uid))";

My question concerning this code is:
What is wrong with the sql statement provided in tutorial. Or a description of its function .

The errors related to this code are:

Initializing Sun's JavaServer Faces implementation (1.2_04-b22-p05) for context '/school'
Initialize <------------>jdbcDriver<------------>
12345678<------------>12345678
SQLException:You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'user u,usergroup ug WHERE uid='12345678' AND password='12345678' AND groupName I' at line 1
Error on DB return
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at servlets.LoginServlet.doPost(LoginServlet.java:82)

Note:
I was told to add table qualifiers to the where clause.
What does this mean. Maybe if someone could break down what the statement is saying (laymens terms) I could fix it.

Thanks again.
-ceyesuma

Topic
The topic of this question is: db_connect+my stmt
Hello and Thank you in advance for any assistance.

System info:

Noted in previous post.

The purpose of this post is:

Display supplied stmt from above mentioned tutorial. Stmt throws an error as noted in previous post.

Display my new stmt.

Code description:supplied stmt

"SELECT u.uid, firstName, lastName, address1, address2, city, postCode, email, phone, ug.groupName as userGroup "
+"FROM user u, usergroup ug WHERE uid='"+userName+"' AND password='"+password+"' AND groupName IN"
+" (SELECT groupName FROM usergroup WHERE groupid =(SELECT groupid FROM usergroup_mapping WHERE uid=u.uid)

Code description: my new statement

String strQuery = "SELECT u.uid, u.password,ug.groupName FROM user AS u,usergroup AS ug,usergroup_mapping AS ugm WHERE u.uid='userName' AND u.password='password' AND u.uid=ugm.uid AND ugm.groupid=ug.groupid";

My question concerning this code is:

If my new stmt produces the required field when I run it on the databases. Why doesn’t the login except username=10101010 password =StealthProject which is in the data base?

The errors related to this code are:
my new stmt:

Initializing Sun's JavaServer Faces implementation (1.2_04-b22-p05) for context '/school'
Initialize <------------>jdbcDriver<------------>
10101010<------------>StealthProject
Error on DB return
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at servlets.LoginServlet.doPost(LoginServlet.java:82)

Thanks again.
-ceyesuma

logged.#23334

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.