Hello everyone =) I'm a Java programmer who wants to do work with databases. MySQL seems to be a popular choice, but I don't know where to start. I messed around with Derby, but I didn't really understand what was going on. If anyone could point me in the direction of a good tutorial for MySQL through Java, that would be awesome =)

Thank you!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

@Thirusha thank you for spreading word about it, but that is just one example with specific aim to show how database connectivity should be handled through servlets no Java Server Pages. However I appreciate it.

@llemes4011 MySQL to Java communication is virtually no different to any other database. The main difference is connection string

getConnection("jdbc:mysql://localhost/danijsptutorial", USER_NAME, PASSWORD);

I do not really recall any specific book for Java & MySQL but I remember there was section in Java How to Program 6th edition that should help you (later versions 8th moved to Derby, not sure what is in 9th that is the latest from Deitel). I read that one back at university and these days I just make sure that query is correct and take necessary steps to use it, which can be found easily all over web (you can say I just hack it together).

Just two more things

• There is java2s.com site which hold number of examples, but no real tutorials with proper explanation - good for quick referencing
  • Also I found this book JDBC Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach (limited preview through google books) which is targeting MySQL and Oracle. Seems to be interesting reading
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.