I have a site that my employer had designed and maintained by an outsider company. My employer is fine with the layout but doesn’t like that in order to update anything it requires a call to the designer who takes days to update. We want to be able to update the news portion of the site immediately, possibly multiple times per day. My manager mentioned a database web structure might be the solution to this problem but I’m not sure how it would be integrated. (I have no experience with this sort of thing!) It would not be integrated by myself but by the company that designed our web site. They gave us an estimate on what it would cost to make the whole site database based but I don’t see why that would be necessary to just keep news up to date. I would just like some clarification on what would need to be done in order for one of the computers at my office to be able to post news on the site quickly and efficiently. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

youre looking for a dynamic site
the problem is unless this is specified form the begining it means the need to create an entirely new site
there is a lot of ways to approach this
if you already have a design firm / designer youre working with you can talk to him

the main concearn is the type of changes you are talking about

if you give me more information i can provide you with some more information so that you would know what to request or look for

youre looking for a dynamic site
the problem is unless this is specified form the begining it means the need to create an entirely new site
there is a lot of ways to approach this
if you already have a design firm / designer youre working with you can talk to him

the main concearn is the type of changes you are talking about

if you give me more information i can provide you with some more information so that you would know what to request or look for

I actually start my job on monday and this is something that i was told i would need to figure out in the interview that i got the job in. So, i dont have very much information to go on, but hopefully i'll have a clearer picture after monday. Thank you for the quick response. I may post more information as it becomes available to me. Thanks again!

whats your background in?
and what type of work are you going to be doing at your posisiton?
did they want you to create that database driven site?

my background is in graphic design and i have a basic knowlege in anything from 3d modeling to html to VB through my college course but am nowhere near being an expert at any of those. i will be writing the news and taking pictures and posting them on the website as well as updating (print) catalogs. im not expected in any way to work on updating the site. i was just asked for my input on what i think would be the best course of action (they already got an estimate for making the whole site database driven and want to look at alternatives). Basically we just need to be able to update the news portion quickly and frequently. My boss would like me to reccomend a program best suited to do this with as well. He is well aware that this is not my area of expertise but i think he just wants to see how much work im willing to put in.

Hi everyone,

You can use Java. I am assuming http protocol. See the URLConnection class and update that webpage appropriately. You said news. Are you using a news server. If you are Java can do that as well. Best answer to you solution www.yahoo.com

Richard West

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.