Good Day All

am restoring a Database Programatically in Sql. Now if the backup is located in the remote machine i use a Share

\\Vuyiswa\MyShare\

but i will get the Following Error

Exception caught in: ExecuteStoredProc: The file "\\Vuyiswa\Databases\\REmoteTest33.mdf" is on a network path that is not supported for database files. File 'TNGoedit_Data' cannot be restored to '\\Vuyiswa\Databases\\REmoteTest33.mdf'. Use WITH MOVE to identify a valid location for the file. The file "\\Vuyiswa\Databases\\REmoteTest33_log.ldf" is on a network path that is not supported for database files. File 'TNGoedit_Log' cannot be restored to '\\Vuyiswa\Databases\\REmoteTest33_log.ldf'. Use WITH MOVE to identify a valid location for the file. Problems were identified while planning for the RESTORE statement. Previous messages provide details. RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally. Database 'REmoteTest33' does not exist. Make sure that the name is entered correctly.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I don't think you can do backup/restore on UNC paths. You should look in to mapping a drive for that share on the SQL Server.

Its the same thing. UNC and the Mapped drive is the same thing. so that will not help. i thought there was another way.

Hi vuyiswamb,

Check the account under which the SQL Server instance is running.

SQL Server instance is generally running under Local System/Local Servce/Network Service accounts which may not have access rights to the UNC path.

Change that account to a domain user account which should have access to the UNC path, restart the service, and try now. Hope this will help you.

Refer these links also.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555128
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqltools/thread/965cd9c4-f4d5-4492-a202-f09b78d89ed1/

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.