Hey guys!

I seem to be posting here a lot the past few days but as I am new to SQL Server I am finding to quite a pain to get used to!

I am having a problem referencing foreign keys. I did post another thread about this but this is a slightly different problem.

everytime I try to reference a foreign key SQL Server says -
'There is already an object named 'ProductID' in the database.'

yes there is another Product ID in the Product table, why won't SQL Server recognise that it is a foreign key and needs to be in this table too? This is happening quite a lot when I am creating the tables and trying to reference the foreign key (not just ProductID). Here is the code for two of my tables:-

CREATE TABLE HireLine (
	HireID		INT	IDENTITY NOT NULL	,
	ProductID	INT			NOT NULL,
	Quantity	INT			NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (HireID),
CONSTRAINT ProductID FOREIGN KEY (ProductID)
	REFERENCES Product (ProductID)
		ON DELETE CASCADE ON UPDATE CASCADE,
);
CREATE TABLE CorderLine (
	CorderID		INT,
	ProductID		INT,
	Quantity		INT		NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (CorderID, ProductID),
CONSTRAINT CorderID FOREIGN KEY (CorderID)
	REFERENCES Corder (CorderID)
CONSTRAINT ProductID FOREIGN KEY (ProductID)
);

has anyone any ideas of where I am going wrong?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

This problem is because you are trying to create two objects by same name. You are creating a column and a constraint by the same name with in a table . this why u are getting this error . Try to use different name for the coumn and the constraint.

This problem is because you are trying to create two objects by same name. You are creating a column and a constraint by the same name with in a table . this why u are getting this error . Try to use different name for the coumn and the constraint.

Thanks for your reply!

I am trying to make the ProductID column the foreign key. I thought that using a constraint like this was how to make it a foreign key. How would i code this? would I say:-

CREATE TABLE HireLine (
HireID INT IDENTITY NOT NULL ,
ProductID INT NOT NULL,
Quantity INT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (HireID),
CONSTRAINT FK_ProductID FOREIGN KEY (ProductID)
);

Thanks
GLT

Yep, that's it :)

im new to database

i think that in table Corder_line
is having a productID as primary key and the same time a foreign key

So what is your problem ?

Ms. SQL Server treats constraint as an object. You can check it in sys.objects table.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.