Take this situation: A Hospital Database containing information on over 800 employees. Which database software would you use? Is Access just as good as mysql?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

server_crash,

It depends on more than just the number of rows you are going to store, like the complexity of the querys, the number of concurrent users the DB must service, performance metrics etc .........

Having said that, I would say that a small DB with < a few thousand rows, and with a small number of concurrent users, that Access would be just fine in this case.

Kate

Hi everyone,

I would use my own implementation - - If you know what i mean - wink

But on the serious side i yhink that access would better suit your needs

Richard West

Well, this isn't my DB. It's the hospitals that I work at. I'm wondering since access is limited to only 5 connections if that could be the cause to some of the problems it's having, or if it could be the access "programmer"(as they call him). The database is not registering changes untill the second time, but I'm not sure how many people other than me have access to it. It is on a novell workspace, so that is questionable. I wish there was a way I could find out how many connections are actually made to it.

Hi everyone,

I wish there was a way I could find out how many connections are actually made to it.

I am not sure about this but i think it would equire you using some winapi classes.

Sorry i could not be of much help

Richard West

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.