Hi all
I'm new to PostgreSql
i'm trying to write a simple function

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION insert_tmp_pswd2 (int4, varchar)
RETURNS int4 AS '
DECLARE

tmp VARCHAR;
BEGIN
insert into "ExAfrica".test2 values($1, $2,now());select 1;
END;
'
LANGUAGE 'sql';

i really dont know why he doesnt want to declare new vars...
pls help!
thanks!

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Slapo

I think you're missing a return statement.
You could define a variable which you would assign a value to and then return it.

I've just noticed, you're using sql as the language. If you need variables, you'll need to use e. g. plpgsql instead.
To return a select result and use variable, you might need to create a function returning a set or you can assign the result of your select statement into a variable you would return in the code.
Take a look at the examples here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-createfunction.html

i tried to write plpgsql as language but he screams and tells me that he doesnt know this type of language.
i'm using razorSQL.
do u maybe know a good developer for ubuntu?
pgadmin is terrible and so is phppgadmin

What version of PostgreSQL do you use?
You can try to enable plpgsql with a command like this:

createlang -h hostname plpgsql dbname

plpgsql should be enabled by default in PostgreSQL 8.4 and newer, but it might be disabled by default in older versions.

I use pgAdmin, NetBeans, SquirrelSQL or SQL Workbench/J, depending on how much I'm fed up with the lack of autocomplete in pgAdmin. If I don't want to leave the IDE, I use NetBeans, otherwise I tend to use SquirrelSQL. I tend to use SQL Workbench/J if I need to pump some data and need no data transformations.

The paid version of DbVisualizer was very nice when I was trying it out the last time, but it's a bit too expensive for me. Maybe this Christmas...

thanks alot!
i will try what you said on Sunday when i'll return to work.
have a great weekend!

You're quite welcome. I hope what I wrote will be of any help to you.
Have a great weekend too :D

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.