Hello,

I have a SQL Server DataBase and have about 10,00,000 entries to be inserted into the database before the database becomes operational. I am currently performing an insert query for each entry, as they have to be read from a file and decided into which table they should be put in. To update all the entries it will take a long time to complete. Can anyone suggest a faster way to do this ?

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by tesuji

Hi

You should do this with BULK INSERT. There you have to choose an appropriate BATCHSIZE, possibly it's a good idea to split 1M records into some smaller portions. Also CHECK_CONSTRAINTS should NOT be used to prevent endlessly lasting checking of FK constraints and check clauses. If there is the possibility that you are inserting incorrect data then it's mostly a good idea to correct or remove these portions of data not until after the insertion task by invoking some sql statements.

You may also write a small program to round out plain mass data to complete BULK INSERT-statements.

-- tesu

Edited by tesuji: n/a

Thanks for the quick reply,

Can u tell me more about BULK INSERT, also I am not inserting any bad data.. It's just that the insert query has to run 1000000 times in a loop with different input data as read from a file into appropriate tables. I am doing a simple INSERT into TABLE query.. but its the sheer number of transactions with the data base thats slowing down the process.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.