Hi, I'm new to VS 2008. And as a uni project, we had to create a doctor surgery databases as a group. However, when one of my group member sent me part of her work and when I tried to open it in my VS 2008, I failed to open the database she created. The error was : " [the database] cannot be opened because it is version 655. This server supports version 612 and earlier. A downgrade path is not supported."

I did some research on the Internet and found out that I have SQL server 2005 installed and my friend is probably using SQL server 2008. So I download the SQL server 2008 from the Internet and it was successfully installed in my computer. So now I have both SQL server 2005 and 2008. However when I tried to open the database again, another error occured saying : "This server version is not supported. Only server up to MS sql server 2005 are supported." again I did some research on the Internet and people are saying I have to install the SQL server 2008 SP1 for it to work. But when I'm about to proceed to the installing process for SP1, an error appear saying: "there are no sql server instances or shared features that can be updated on this computer". Now I really have no idea what to do... I've been trying to open that database for like 10 hours, and it still won't work. Can anyone please help.

anyone please help? I still can't fix it.

I've removed the SQL server 2008 cause my friend said she will download SQL server 2005 and send the file again. But then after removing SQL server 2008, my Visual Studio 2008 won't open any databases. It keeps displaying the error message:
"A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)"
So this means now i can't even open the previous databases that i've created with SQL server 2005!
HELPPPPP

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.