FOR EACH ROW BEGIN
  SELECT security INTO user_sec FROM users WHERE userid=NEW.userid;
  IF user_sec >= 10 THEN set NEW.admin = 1;
  IF NEW.admin != 0 THEN SET NEW.approved = NOW();
  END IF; 
END
//
DELIMITER ;
  1. The SELECT gets the users security level from the users table and stores it in a variable called user_sec
  2. The first IF checks user_sec to see if its a high enough level (greater than 10) and if so, it sets the approving admin to 1 (system default)
  3. The second IF says that if the NEW.admin !=0 then we'll set the approved date to the NOW().

Will this work? (I dont have a test server, so this gets run on the production server as is and I really wanna do my best to make sure it works!)

Thanks

Pete

Contributors
Replies
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by ppetree
select security into

will result in a table with a column named security. Unfortunately this will only run once, as the second time around the table will exist and you'll receive an error.
If you intend user_sec to be a variable, you need to declare it and use the @ sign in it's name. To populate your variable use the output instead of the into.

PS: If you don't have a test server, this doesn't mean that you can't have a test instance or test database or even test tables. Create a copy of your table and try out the trigger. The forum can help, but you have the responsibility, so make sure you are ok by testing.

Adam,

Thanks for your reply... obviously I have no idea how to use variables in triggers so how do you use the @?

Thanks,

Pete

I got it working... final code was this:

DELIMITER //
CREATE TRIGGER trigger_name BEFORE INSERT ON my_table
FOR EACH ROW BEGIN
  declare user_sec tinyint(1);

SELECT security INTO user_sec FROM users WHERE user_id = NEW.user_id;

IF user_sec >= 10 AND NEW.admin = 0 THEN
    SET NEW.admin = 1;
    SET NEW.approved = NOW();
  END IF;
END //
DELIMITER ;
This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.