Good morning,

Firstly, let me say that I have zero experience with database, servers, etc. Now that I have prefaced this long question with that tidbit let me ask the most basic questions. What is the difference between MySQL and MS SQL? I think they do the same thing but I'm not sure of their differences.

Next and this requires some explanation so bare with me. Recently, I was elected to update my school club's website. I had said yes despite my little knowledge of HTML but I do understand the basics of programming. One of the tasks I was asked to look into automatically inserting people's registration into the gmail address book. Currently, one of the executives have to manually input all of the names.

1. Is it possible to have a script automatically input people's information into the google's address book?
2. Would using an SQL database useful / make my job easier? It's okay if it doesn't go into the address book. Just something that will hold people's information and the data is easy to retrieve.
3. Can you create a new database on my local machine and upload it to the internet?

Thanks for the help. Let me know if I was too vague or confusing.

Dmytri

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

What is the difference between MySQL and MS SQL? I think they do the same thing but I'm not sure of their differences.

MySQL is a relational database management system (RDBMS) that runs as a server providing multi-user access to a number of databases. It is named after developer Michael Widenius' daughter, My.The SQL phrase stands for Structured Query Language.
The MySQL development project has made its source code available under the terms of the GNU General Public License, as well as under a variety of proprietary agreements. MySQL was owned and sponsored by a single for-profit firm, the Swedish company MySQL AB, now owned by Oracle Corporation.

MS-SQL is also an RDBMS but owned by Microsoft and that's the reason for the prefix, MS. They basically do same things but may vary in syntax and acceptable wildcards in their SQL.

Is it possible to have a script automatically input people's information into the Google's address book?

Not sure but i think Google provides some contact API that work with apps where that may provide such services. You can check here for more info

2. Would using an SQL database useful / make my job easier? It's okay if it doesn't go into the address book. Just something that will hold people's information and the data is easy to retrieve.

Yes you can. But it would also help if you can design a front-end application to interface with users and prevent unauthorized entry into your database

3. Can you create a new database on my local machine and upload it to the internet?

yes you can. you could host your database online and even synchronize that on the local machine with the online sever so you can always have an online back-up when there's a system crash on your local machine.

I'll take a look into it. Thank you!

warm welcome!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.