Hello
I've moved from graphic designer to static site builder and now want to begin exploring dynamic sites. I'm on a MAC and would like to use FileMaker Pro as my database app. Any comments? Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Don't.

I have a friend who has used Filemaker to create some applications. They work great, but he has had alot of trouble trying to port them to the web. To get any real flexibility you will have to buy the $2500 licence for the web extension or whatever it is called.

Don't.

I have a friend who has used Filemaker to create some applications. They work great, but he has had alot of trouble trying to port them to the web. To get any real flexibility you will have to buy the $2500 licence for the web extension or whatever it is called.

Thanks for the advice. PHP/MySQL seems to be the way... would you agree? I came across a book called Database Design for Mere Mortals that focusses on how to design a great database. It seems logical to me that if you know your database, building a web app to run it would be a lot easier... your comments?

Dance Instructor

I prefer PHP/MYSQL.

You've helped put me on the right track, many thanks

Sure, PHP/MySQL has a great following and is used by many people for building dynamic DB-enabled sites. You'll also get some good support for it in applications like GoLive and Dreamweaver.

However, it's more than possible to build interactive web sites with FileMaker Pro. Here are some of your options:

1) Instant Web Publishing. Included with all versions of FileMaker Pro. You basic click a couple check boxes and your web site is up, looking pretty much exactly the way it does in FileMaker itself. By far the easiest way to publish a database online, since you don't need to know a single word of PHP, XML, HTML, CSS or SQL. Basic versions of FileMaker support 5 simultaneous users via IWP and the advanced server allows up to 100 concurrent users.

2) Lasso. Gives you plugins that you can use with GoLive and Dreamweaver. It basically claims to be an easier alterntive to PHP for coding the presentation of your data on the web. Works well with FileMaker.

3) FX.php. Lets you use PHP to present FileMaker Pro-based databases on the web. Free.

4) Custom Web Publishing. Uses XML and/or XSLT style sheets to present information. Included as part of FileMaker.

The advantage of using FileMaker over other DB systems is the incredible ease-of-use and ability to get your system together quickly, without coding.

I need to do the same thing. Let me know if you get an answer to this.
Bellezzabacher

Hi! Now I see the answers to this question. VERY EXCITING! I will have to look into it some more. I REALLY LIKE using Filemaker! I am organizing my whole business and personal life on it. By doing that I get the idea of how POWERFUL a website could be using it. I will check out the applications that Mary Otter talks about above. THANK YOU MARY!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.