I am running a unmanaged VPS - CentOS 6, 1gig of ram, 60gig storage, 256mb Vswap

my.conf file:

[mysqld]
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
user=mysql
symbolic-links=0
max_connections=100
max_user_connections=30
max_allowed_packet=64M
wait_timeout=30
interactive_timeout=50
query_cache_type=1
query_cache_size=4M
query_cache_limit=1M
long_query_time=5
thread_cache_size=4 
key_buffer_size=16M
table_open_cache=80 
log-queries-not-using-indexes
log-slow-queries=/var/log/mysql/log-slow-queries.log

#innodb_use_native_aio = 0
innodb_file_per_table

[mysqld_safe]
log-error=/var/log/mysqld.log
pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

MySql tuning logs:

myturner.png

myturnprimer.png

myturnprimer1.png

I installed wordpress(Deleted now) - my Vswap and SHOT up like crazy. I was probally the plugins but when i had shared i had a faster page loading time. I deleted WP, did a test and used a sample my.conf for 1gig of Ram i came across. My Vswap shot down to 6% and memory useage in the 30s.

Even before I installed WP my vswap was about half of what my Memory usuage was, only time it went down temporerary was when i restarted apache and did "swapoff" "swapon"

I would like to install wordpress again but i dont want my memory shooting up just because wordpress is installed.

My guess though is its the MySQL conf file based on the "test" i am. What should i put the values at to have everything run optimonal?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Wordpress should be OK, delete all unknown plugins and check. You've got to be uber careful with plugins especially the ones of the wordpress site.

I ended up rebooting myself, was having issues when i was trying to configure my.cnf...vswap went to 0, memory went to 20.Right now im at memory 17%, Vswap 9% accoring to SolusVP. I ended up finding some examples online and tweaking accoring to the Mysql "tuner" - also deletd mailing services since i can just use gmail if anything

That's the best thing you did Chris. If you are in doubt, reboot.

I notcied when I wake up in the morning, the memory and vswap went up. I know its beacuse of running background processes, but the swap goes from 12%-30 or so. Something is up here?

Only way to bring it back down is to restart apache(httpd) and MySql..When restarting the DB, that has the biggest effect on memory use.

Anyway to make this automated...At a loss here

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.