Member Avatar for Susan_24

HELP! We are a volunteer-driven not-for-profit offering motorcycle safety training and skill development with a huge database issue as described below. We cannot identify any of our volunteers that can tackle our database issue...here it is, can you volunteer your time to help us? We would be glad to hear from interns who need hours:

*Our custom-made education database frontend was created utilizing PHP version 5.4 and connected to a SQL server.

GoDaddy moved the SQL information and the webpages to an updated server, currently utilizing PHP 5.6.

My issue now is that the code is not allowing access to the information due to the differences in the PHP versions. Login errors. Depreciated calls, etc.

I understand it would be best to move up to PHP 7.4 minimally so this issue does not occur again soon.

We are in need of someone that can take our older code and freshen it up to work with a newer version of PHP.*

Please respond at your earliest convenience. We are a month into this and it has literally stopped us from performing important tasks to support our program. Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Depending on the complexity of your code, this can be a one week project or a six month project. I recommend hiring on a site such as Upwork. I've had really good experiences with Upwork in the past, including a recent project I hired someone from there for.

Sorry, my food was ready and I wanted to eat it while it was hot, so my previous message was a bit rushed. But, yeah, if one of your existing community member volunteers isn't up for the challenge, I think you are going to be very hard pressed to find someone willing to take on a project like this for free.

You might want to reach out to local schools and see if you can find a student there willing to do an internship in exchange for school credit.

When I upgraded DaniWeb to PHP 7.x, it was very quick and smooth because, having written all the code from scratch, I knew exactly what parts weren't backwards compatible and what code to change.

But to upgrade someone else's project, I would have to painstakingly comb over all of the code that powers the project to see what would need to be done.

Are we talking about 5000 lines of code or 5 million? How big is the existing code that powers the site? Does it use a CMS (such as Wordpress, etc.)?

If you can afford a bottom of the range virtual private server from your current host, you can ask it to have the older version of PHP installed, and continue on as normal.

Hi Susan,

What did you decide to do?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.