Hi,
Sorry for posting in Web Dev even though this is an App Dev question. We're looking at methods to create a new application. The application will be used heavily by about 20 people concurrently, it needs to be very user friendly and highly interactive.

IT have nominated Java/Python/.Net or similar as the laguage backing onto a MySQL database as their prefered method. Management has requested we look at using Access.

My question is two fold:
What are the pros and cons of using Access to develop a large-ish scale application?
To keep costs down would it be suitable (reliable) to have Access back onto MySQL, or is MS SQL more reliable from Access?

Thanks,
James

IT department's don't like MS access for a variety of reasons. One is that MS access is not the most secure option. Another is that amateurs, often one of the bosses! Create MS access databases, get stuck, and take the unfinished product to the IT department expecting it to be sorted!

MS access is ideal for getting your project up and running, it is a very fast and easy development tool, ideal for a quick and dirty solution. If the quick and dirty solution becomes more permanent, more sensitive, then it is possible to upgrade your access database to MS SQL.

It is not uncommon to have twenty users using a MS access database, it depends on what they are doing.

IT department's don't like MS access for a variety of reasons. One is that MS access is not the most secure option. Another is that amateurs, often one of the bosses! Create MS access databases, get stuck, and take the unfinished product to the IT department expecting it to be sorted!

MS access is ideal for getting your project up and running, it is a very fast and easy development tool, ideal for a quick and dirty solution. If the quick and dirty solution becomes more permanent, more sensitive, then it is possible to upgrade your access database to MS SQL.

It is not uncommon to have twenty users using a MS access database, it depends on what they are doing.

We would not be using Access as the Db, mearly as the front end. I would much rather see an application built around a progamming language rather than Access because I feel it would be more robust and offer more flexibility.

I have the task of explaining to Management why and I would like to use something more than just a gut feeling.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.