me and my friend wanted to play age of empires 2 the conquerors expansion on multiplayer...........we used hamachi......the game could detect the hamachi ip but we could not find each of our games....

can someone tell me hoe to play age of empires 2 on multiplayer properly using hamachi.plz help me

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

me and my friend wanted to play age of empires 2 the conquerors expansion on multiplayer...........we used hamachi......the game could detect the hamachi ip but we could not find each of our games....

can someone tell me hoe to play age of empires 2 on multiplayer properly using hamachi.plz help me

--I am trying to find out the same thing... ANYONE KNOW HOW????

This has nothing to do with Game-Development, but I'll put in my two cents:

Does EOA have a online player-mode? If yes: what you are trying to do is illigal, buy a original copy and away you go.
If no: *mumbles something about portforwarding*

This has nothing to do with Game-Development, but I'll put in my two cents:

Does EOA have a online player-mode? If yes: what you are trying to do is illigal, buy a original copy and away you go.
If no: *mumbles something about portforwarding*

Thanks. I do have an original copy, and AOE II is so outdated that the online player-mode doesn't exist anymore. So I suppose Hamachi is the only way. We've tried Gamespy, that didn't work. Through both, Hamachi and Gamespy, the same thing happens every time. But we get the closest with Hamachi. My friend creates the game, and I can see his name in the TCP/IP games window. I select his name, I click "Join Game", it goes to a screen that says "Joining game. If you do not enter the game within 15 seconds, press esc..." and after about 15 seconds the screen closes and it says, "Unable to join game". We're so close, and we really want to learn how to play without using a LAN, because he's moving this summer.

Thanks again,

MARC

certain games need certain ports opened on the router in order to host. use google to find the ports u need to open and then go to your router's set up page and open them.

certain games need certain ports opened on the router in order to host. use google to find the ports u need to open and then go to your router's set up page and open them.

Hey thanks for the reply! I think you're right because I've tried everything else, and I've had a couple acquaintances tell me the same thing... The only problem is that they can't come show me how to do that (open a port), and they speak with all their computer genius jargon that I don't understand. I tried the google search thing too. Could you tell me exactly what to do in layman's terms? I have a WRT54G Linksys router. This website should give you any other specs you might need:
<<http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1149562300349&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=0034939789B10>>

THANKS!!!
-Marc Hadfield

I just started play this game. Having a same doubt about to play age of empires 2 on multi player properly using hamachi. Any tips?

I just started play this game. Having a same doubt about to play age of empires 2 on multi player properly using hamachi. Any tips from members?

I just started play this game. Having a same doubt about to play age of empires 2 on multi player properly using hamachi. Any tips from members?

Ok, I found the true and finnal solution with hamachi and age of empires 2. AFTER 2 YEARS!!

Its as simple as this, In XP go to control panel, Then Network Connections, Then at the top you should see the menu bar, Click on advanced, Click advanced settings. Then simply move hamachi to the top of that list.

The problem is that ages gives you the IP of the highest priority network device.

http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-vista/change-network-adapter-priority-in-vista/ Here is how you do it in vista, Cheers.

PS If this doesn't work use Hamachi 1.0.1.1, and be carefull with Linksys WRT54GS Version 6 routers. This router is the reason I couldn't figure out the problem for 2 years. If anyone has any idea why I'd be happy to know.

Good luck guys, <<snip>> is my MSN if anyone wants to play ages.

well if u really want to play the game you can turn off the windows firewall and anyother firewall you have and dmz the port in your router second depends on what routers you / and your friend have you can setup a vpn connection between them which is what hamachi does anyway

yeah this is not related to game development but I can answer your questions...

1. Turn off your windows firewall and Anti-virus firewall. Then you should be able to join games.
2. If you don't want to turn off firewalls, then you need to add exception, and open ports.
I know how this works for XP:
Go to: Control Panel -> Windows Firewall -> Exceptions

Click on Add program, Browse for hamachi executable and add it.
similarly add age2_x1.exe as exception.

Then click on add ports and open following ports
TCP Ports
2300-2400,47624
UDP Ports
2300-2400

Now try using Hamachi or direct ip to play the games.
I have never tried GameSpy, but there is one very-2 good client to play AOE-II online. It is called IGZ (www.igzones.com) Thousands of players are always online there. You can also try www.gamepark.eu
To play at igz and gamepark, you need to install 1.0c/1.0e patch. This patch is available at many website. (site #1 and 2 below). I believe Gamespy also uses this patch as all pro use this patch to play aoe. it makes online gaming hack proof to a little more extent.

PS: when you learn some tactics of the game You can also play with me :)

For more information and help go to:

1. www.aocgroup.com.ar
  2. www.lclan.com
  3. www.indusclan.com
  4. www.aok.heavangames.com (search this on google, i dont remember if the address is exactly the same)
  5. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895864

Just found somthing else, On alot of routers it seems you have to dissable UPNP. If you guys want to play with us or want help. Send me a PM on Youtube. Name is SlyNine.

I just got done playing my first AOC online game in almost 10 years!

to get the game to "see' your hamachi ip you must go into networking and move the hamachi adapter to the top of the list.(use Advanced settings)
In XP this is fairly straight forward..... in Vista it wasn't quite so easy..but again go into advanced settings.
We still have several machines that we want to play on and haven't gotten them all on yet. will keep working on it

actually u don't need that... u can see your hamachi ip at the top of hamachi window. Also whoever creates the game, should give all others his (hamachi) IP and the network he is into, and if others are present in the same network, they can join his game by entering his IP at aoe screen.

Some times you might find some1 cant join you even if he is in same hamachi network. that means he is still not connected to you. to confirm that right click on his nick and ping. if it doesnt ping then both/one of you should restart hamachi. if it pings then its your computer firewall problem.

There is a better program you can use to play Age of Empires 2 online. It works on the same principle as Hamachi (creating a virtual LAN), but it is designed specifically for playing games and works much, much better with no configuration.
It's called Tunngle, and, just like hamachi, it's free, easy to set up,secure and creates direct peer to peer connections with little latency.
As of now, it's only in beta, so it's only in German, but a proper release in English is expected very soon. This tutorial shows you how to use it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djqn-b527q8
I played Age of Empires 2 with a friend and it worked the first time, no problems whatsoever :)

Maybe any of your friends is not joining your game room that y it is problematic.
I do face similar problem when i play multi-player games.

I just started play this game. Having a same doubt about to play age of empires 2 on multi player using hamachi...any other care i have to take for that?
<FAKE SIGNATURE>

When you use VPN simulators like Hamachi and Tunngle, mostly you just need to put aoe (age2x_1.exe) as an exception in your firewall. (Also the simulator as well).

But if you want to use clients like Voobly (previously IGZones), Game park etc., most of the time you will need to configure your router settings. Best way is to know how to change your router settings using googling. For non-techi person, it might be a little confusing in the beginning but if you try 2-3 times, you should be able to get it done.

PS: You can read my other posts as well, hope they help...

man..disable windows firewall or add hamachi to exceptions

you guys should use gameranger instead way easier

enough with the resurrecting already.. closed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.